http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:37:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $60 Games Costing Sales?  (Read 2859 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:48:39 AM »

I'm curious if anyone else isn't buying as many games these days because of the cost? 

For whatever reason, that extra $10 has prevented me from buying a lot of 360 games this year.  I've bought a lot of games in the past, but lately, not as many.  I had no problems spontaneously buying the Bully special edition today at $50, but Dead Rising at $60, a game I possibly want to play more, I can't pull the trigger.  $40 and $50 games I have no problems with, but that extra $10 just pushes 360 games, and I suppose PS3 games into another class.  It doesn't help that a lot of the 360 games seem fairly shallow and short so far either.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:56:14 AM »

I'm with you, and that's why I am going the Trade games online, trade in games and the ATB hold out and beat games rout. It will always help offset the costs.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:04:20 AM »

I haven't bought a single 360 game since I bought my 360.  I've been snapping up BC Xbox games on the cheap but for my 360 fix it's been Gamefly all the way.  While I could afford $60 for a game I just refuse to pay that.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:11:17 AM »

I know higher prices affect me.  I rarely bought games at full $50 prices (usually waited for a $5-10 sale at least) and having everything start at $10 more makes me even less likely to buy a game right off the bat.  

On the other hand there are very few things that haven't gone up in price over the last 30 years, the noteable exceptions being DVDs and CDs which have a much, much longer shelf life than games.  Movie theaters, movie rentals, books, magazines, fast food...you name it and inflation has hit it.   Games are a very volatile market and with the massive increase in resources needed to produce top level product they are in a tough spot to be profitable. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:16:02 AM »

Yeah, it's affected me a bit but considering how awesome that 360 software sales are doing compared to the hardware itself, I'm not sure the effect is very widespread. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 03:36:18 AM »

It's causing me to do more research into games so I'm less likely to impulse buy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 03:41:38 AM »

My top limit for games is $39.99..  If a new PC game comes out at $49.99, I either wait for it to go on sale, or buy it used.  I didn't buy HOMMV until I got it used for $20 from someone off this forum, the damn thing is STILL selling for $50 at most places.

Thats my limit, period, I won't go over it, regardless of how attractive something is.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 05:33:54 AM »

I have a hard time shelling out $50 for a game, let alone $60.  I haven't paid that much in awhile though.  When it's that much I'll usually trade in or get it on sale to bring the price down.  Nowadays $40 is the sweet spot for new game purchases and I still don't like paying that much.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
siege

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:53:21 AM »

I'm a lot more patient now in waiting for software to drop in price. Unless it's a highly anticipated game or likely to be rare, I won't buy at $50 or even $40 if I can get away with it. I defintely won't pay $60 for a video game and never will. $30-35 is my sweet spot and a big reason I prefer DS games over anything else.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 05:59:47 AM »

The last time I paid $60 for a game it was a  Mortal Kombat for the Genesis. If I remember correctly, a lot of games were at $60 back then. But the price didn't stick. Now they're trying it again and I don't think it'll stick. Sony is out of their minds with their pricing plan. $40 is my limit, like Kobra, unless something reallly strikes me as necessary. And that hasn't happened since I don't remember when. Games like Just Cause can just wait until there's a sale or a price cut. No problem. I still have many hours left in GTA: San Andreas. And I just picked up KOTOR for the original Xbox (which is still hooked up) for $4.97 from Target. Hell, Uno can tide me over. Screw $60.

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »

I have no problem paying more for a game....but only if I'm confident I'll get that much for enjoyment out of it. For instance if Halo 2 would've come out at $90cdn, I still would've bought it in a second, and given the amount that I played it, I still would've gotten my moneys worth and then some.

However, if it's a game I'm taking a chance on, or just something I think will be ok, but not amazing, then any extra cost on the price tag will turn into a lost sale from me.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 10:55:44 AM »

I have a hard time going over $50 for a game, not only because of financial means, but because IMO, unless the game has a hell of a lot of replay value (in both single and multiplayer) it's hard to justify that kind of money.

I think CliffyB summed it up pretty well..

“I think prices need to go down. $50 is way too much for an impulse buy. $60 is out of the question.”
"What other entertainment medium that's mass market is at $60 a pop?" said Cliff Bleszinski, lead designer at developer Epic's 360 title "Gears of War," due next year. "If video game pricing continues to go up, we will crash."

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »

I have most definitely cut down on my 360 purchases as a result of the game prices.  And I've gone the next step now by GameFlying them.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »

After a year of the XBox, I'd bought more games than I have for the 360.  The $60 price tag resulted in me taking a chance on less games, and encouraged me to go the Gamefly route for 3 months.

There are not a lot of 'must play' titles anyhow; but for example, hearing Bully regular edition is $40 has me a LOT more interested in trying it out than much coming out for the 360.  If Viva Pinata and Gears of War and Marvel Alliance were $50 games, I'd probalby pick each of them up.  At $60, I may not get any but rather rejoin Gamefly for two months and try them out that way.

Not sure what the mental difference is between $50 and $60.  I guess $50 is my limit of 'not thinking about it' money.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 12:27:42 PM »

$10 may not sound like much, but it is a 20% price increase, which is pretty significant. I know it puts me off both the 360 and PS3 (among other reasons). I definitely will not be buying either until they are longer in the tooth, lower in price, and a lot of their games are cheaper.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

If Viva Pinata and Gears of War and Marvel Alliance were $50 games, I'd probalby pick each of them up.

Viva Pinata is a $50 game.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 12:42:18 PM »

the only game ive payed that much for this year is pre-ordering FFXII.  Other than that, the most was 34.99 for a DS game. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 12:46:48 PM »

It's all tax-deductible for me, so I buy buy buy! icon_biggrin
Actually I'm still pretty careful about my purchases.  My big rule is only one game at a time, and $60 is reserved for big releases.  Okami at $40 was easy.  FF12 CE + Gears of War two weeks later is giving me the shakes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 12:50:45 PM by kathode » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »

I'm a cheap ass through and through and try never to pay anywhere near full price unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I will pay full price gladly for GH2 in november.  I paid more than full price for Phoenix Wright.
I paid full price for Castlevania on DS (still haven't played it).

But usually I hit a sale, use a coupon, wait, or just adopt stuff later in its run and by that time there's much out there sub original msrp.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »

Actually, I guess I paide full price for Okami...but that was at 39.99 so it's kinda different.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 01:02:58 PM »

Price difference between $50 and $60 is irrelevant to me... I'm buying less games with the baby now anyhow, so my gaming spend is down even with the price increase. I've been holding off on purchases more because my plate is full than prices and I get the benefit of price drops as a bonus.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 03:15:09 PM »

Impulse buys are definitely down.  And with Platinum Hits eventually coming out at $30 I won't be impulse buying those either.  That said I now own 10 games for the 360 and will be picking up 4 more next month.  But I have played through almost all of them and the Achievements help me get more out of them than I usually would.  So while I think $50 is a much better price, I still feel like I get my money's worth.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »

With more expensive games, I do more research.  While I don't read many "official" reviews, I do tend to put a lot into impressions posted here by other members.

It has also limited my impulse buys.  I just wish Blockbuster's rentals had not gotten so expensive.  This is how I "tested" many of the games before I bought them.  The price is just getting out of hand!

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on October 20, 2006, 12:28:27 PM

If Viva Pinata and Gears of War and Marvel Alliance were $50 games, I'd probalby pick each of them up.

Oh sweet; ok well I'm much more likely in on that then!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 05:42:04 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 20, 2006, 03:29:20 PM

Ha I want it too  paranoid

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on October 20, 2006, 05:42:04 PM

Quote from: JLu on October 20, 2006, 03:29:20 PM

Ha I want it too  paranoid

Heh, my wife is pretty excited by it as well, but I know I'll probably end up playing it just as much as she does. It looks fun! smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 04:29:26 AM »

Seems like PC games are dropping in price anyway, I noticed NFSCarbon is hitting the street at $39 for the PC.

They must have figured out that $39.99 is the magic price point for PC sales.. I agree, as I already said, $40 for a PC game is my limit.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »

They must have figured out that $39.99 is the magic price point for PC sales.. I agree, as I already said, $40 for a PC game is my limit.
$40 is my limit too, unless it is a game I really want and grab it at EB during the day (can walk to EB from work).  Otherwise, PC games are so often on sale, it is easy to grab them cheaply.  Console games I will pay $50 for a game I really want, but $60 is just to much.  I'd probably have got Dead Rising and Saint's Row at $50, but didn't at $60.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

Maybe one game a year if it is an uber title like Gears of War or something, but quite honestly, I have about quit buying console games altogether.   PC games if they are super duper's or if $29.99.

Games are too high for my tastes.  My choice is to stay about 3-6 months behind the curve and the prices seems to be in my range at that pace.  Funny thing, the games 5 months after release are the exact same game only cheaper.  Amazing.  Should have discovered this years before.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »

I have gotten a couple games at full-price on 360, but that is only if I REALLY want it or I get it as a gift (my relatives aren't very good about using the internet to find deals...)

That said, I would have bought twice as many games and not looked to trades/ebay as much if the starting price was $39.99 or $44.99 rather than $59.99. Same deal for PC games, I certainly never buy one for $49.99 and generally try to buy at $39.99 or less.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2006, 11:02:05 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 21, 2006, 07:08:09 PM

Funny thing, the games 5 months after release are the exact same game only cheaper.  Amazing.  Should have discovered this years before.

Not to mention sometimes BETTER because of patches!  I wanted HOMMV at release but it was $50 and I hear pretty buggy.  Now that I snagged it for $20 used, I have 3 huge patches to apply and the game is much better.

Generally, I am 3-6 months behind the curve for PC games, and 1-2 years behind the curve on console games.  There are exceptions to this (Such as Paraworld at $29 new), or games my kids want and buy with their own funds, but as a rule I am pretty behind, and save a good amount of cash being behind.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:50 PM »

Quote from: Scott on October 21, 2006, 01:29:24 PM

I'd probably have got Dead Rising and Saint's Row at $50, but didn't at $60.

FWIW, I think it was Best Buy that just had a sale on DR for $39.99. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 12:49:17 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 21, 2006, 11:18:50 PM

Quote from: Scott on October 21, 2006, 01:29:24 PM

I'd probably have got Dead Rising and Saint's Row at $50, but didn't at $60.

FWIW, I think it was Best Buy that just had a sale on DR for $39.99. 

And GoGamer.com currently has Saints Row on the Madness sale for $44.90, but that is about to run out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: