http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:30:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: @#$%&@#$% Freaking ATI! I want my HL2 as promised!  (Read 3334 times)
lokiju
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2005, 11:00:41 PM »

I am getting quite upset now. Let me begin by stating that I have a natural obsession with keeping records and facts straight. On 12/17/04 I sent out all the pertinent info needed to get my promised HL2 game sent to me intead of using the God-awful download system. I thought, great, 4-6 weeks as stated and all will be fine. I should have known that they were trying to scam the people and reneg on the agreement to send out the games after Radeon purchases were made. I got an email on 1/20 stating that my credit card information was invalid. I called that day and fixed the situation, which was, by the way, rheir company screwing up because I have been using the same card for 15 years. The girl admitted that there should not have been an issue with the card as you had the correct info and I use the card every day for odds and ends. So I figured it was ok, until I looked through my records and noticed that it is now 8, EIGHT weeks after I submitted the correct information to get my game. I called again today, 2/11, and lo and behold, again, the credit card info is fine, but it was still showing my account as PENDING. I asked the girl what happened, and she told me that if I hadn't called in, I'd never have received the game because the last girl (on 1/20) made a mistake and didn't change the order status for me. SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...If I didn't call again today out of anal compulsive tendencies, I would never have received my game!? Are you freaking kidding me? They created the offer and I did my part by purchasing products for that game, and I want it now as it's already 2 weeks later that their latest promise of delivery date. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can understand the research that goes into how many people will take advantage of offers, freebies, and rebates. I can understand them making it undesirable to complete with a ten-step process that includes giving them blood and urine sample. They expect to not make big payouts as we generally forget about this stuff, and they make out in the end. But when I do everything to the T, I expect them to take responsibility for their business, and do honest work.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »

Going through the website it looks like your beef should be with ATI not Valve. Unless you are blaming Valve for making you get the physical CD from ATI because of your hatred of Steam. And even if Ati aren't the ones physically sending you the cds wouldn't it be Vivendi that deals with the boxed product?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 11:55:53 PM »

sounds to me like you were the unfortunate victim of two mistakes that could happen to anyone...not some conspiracy to screw people out of their money.  i never understand all the rants about companies intentionally trying to rip people off when it sounds like they're doing everything they can to straighten the issue out once it's brought to their attention...

i'm sure it is frustrating, but mistakes are bound to happen once in a while when you're processing information on thousands of people.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 01:01:59 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
sounds to me like you were the unfortunate victim of two mistakes that could happen to anyone...not some conspiracy to screw people out of their money.  i never understand all the rants about companies intentionally trying to rip people off when it sounds like they're doing everything they can to straighten the issue out once it's brought to their attention...

i'm sure it is frustrating, but mistakes are bound to happen once in a while when you're processing information on thousands of people.

Well, you may be right....but I might be as well.   :wink:

In any case, I edited the title, didn't mean to attack Valve.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 02:23:08 AM »

you certainly have a lot of anger about insignificant things.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"
you certainly have a lot of anger about insignificant things.

It's the little things in life.

Edit:  Waiting 8 weeks to get a game that could have been here in 4 seems like a large issue to a gamer.  :wink:

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 06:06:45 AM »

and you could have just downloaded it, and would be your within in your hands in 6 hours Tongue
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 06:33:50 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
and you could have just downloaded it, and would be your within in your hands in 6 hours Tongue

Pfffft.  Then I wouldn't have the lovely box in my hands.  I deal in real, not downloads.   Cool   Though, real sure is taking too long, heh.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »

I also hope you aren't expecting anything significant as far as the box goes. You get, now follow me here because it's a lot of stuff, five CDs and a quick reference card. That's it unless you count the box art that has one of the three characters on it. All in all it's a waste of resources for a whole bunch of nothing.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 11:03:20 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"
I also hope you aren't expecting anything significant as far as the box goes. You get, now follow me here because it's a lot of stuff, five CDs and a quick reference card. That's it unless you count the box art that has one of the three characters on it. All in all it's a waste of resources for a whole bunch of nothing.

Which can be said of any game though, from that point of view.  Now if I want to trade later, could I trade the steam version?  I'd rather get a tangible item to store on my shelf, or trade later.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 11:50:38 PM »

Uhhhhh .... I didn't think you were able to sell a used copy of Half-Life 2.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

you can sell/trade your copy away as long as you're also willing to give up the Steam account that goes along with it.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 11:05:37 AM »

I agree with OP.  I think ATI has been very misleading concerning this promotion.  To begin with, if you choose the CD option, they charge you $10 for shipping.  Already, this makes the offer not so free.  To make matters worse, they offered a "bonus" offer on their website which included a bundle of the original halflife and expansions.  I ordered the bonus, paid the $10 under the impression that I would receive HL2 CDROM as part of this bonus.  So when the game was released, I waited and waited, but no HL2 CD.  I finally emailed them, and they told me I would have to pay another $10 for the HL2 CD.  Now, I'm up to $20 if I choose to get the CDROM.  I am very unhappy with ATI for the misleading information on their website to the point that I will probably not buy another ATI card.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »

Quote from: "bobclay54"
I agree with OP.  I think ATI has been very misleading concerning this promotion.  To begin with, if you choose the CD option, they charge you $10 for shipping.  Already, this makes the offer not so free.  To make matters worse, they offered a "bonus" offer on their website which included a bundle of the original halflife and expansions.  I ordered the bonus, paid the $10 under the impression that I would receive HL2 CDROM as part of this bonus.  So when the game was released, I waited and waited, but no HL2 CD.  I finally emailed them, and they told me I would have to pay another $10 for the HL2 CD.  Now, I'm up to $20 if I choose to get the CDROM.  I am very unhappy with ATI for the misleading information on their website to the point that I will probably not buy another ATI card.

Now add to that the problems I am having on top of paying $10 for a "free" item".   :shock:

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 08:57:20 PM »

I am very unhappy with ATI for the misleading information on their website to the point that I will probably not buy another ATI card.

I think the lesson here is never buy a video card because of a free game unless the game is in the box.  :roll:

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 09:08:42 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
I am very unhappy with ATI for the misleading information on their website to the point that I will probably not buy another ATI card.

I think the lesson here is never buy a video card because of a free game unless the game is in the box.  :roll:

Or, in other words, we the people can't trust companies to be honest or responsible...kind of sad.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 09:08:46 PM »

you can sell/trade your copy away as long as you're also willing to give up the Steam account that goes along with it.

How do the stores make sure you give up the account? Can you "free" an account number, clearing the key for another person?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 11:20:58 PM »

How do the stores make sure you give up the account? Can you "free" an account number, clearing the key for another person?

Not sure about Steam, but in most MMOs, you give the buyer/trader your account ID and password, and have them change the name and credit card info to complete the switch over.  So you don't really give up the account, you just let someone else play it.

bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 11:22:34 PM »

I didn't buy the video card because of the game, but will sure influence my next video card purchase unless ATI makes good on this.  I won't get burned twice by the same company.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »

Quote from: "lokiju"

Which can be said of any game though, from that point of view.  Now if I want to trade later, could I trade the steam version?  I'd rather get a tangible item to store on my shelf, or trade later.

Yes you could, as I've done it. I ended up giving the guy my username and password which let him download the game before he received the box. And the only real reason I bought the box version was because I got it for cheaper than through Steam.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 12:07:16 AM »

Yes you could, as I've done it. I ended up giving the guy my username and password which let him download the game before he received the box. And the only real reason I bought the box version was because I got it for cheaper than through Steam.

I agree with you, but there was a long and overly emotional thread a while back regarding trades with boxes vs without.  I just prefer to have all the extras to make the game more tradeable to those who like to have them for their collection.  It's just personal taste, but it seems to be causing more problems than it's worth at this point in dealing with ATI, lol.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 12:40:03 AM »

I can very much understand. Given the two choices I would go with the box almost every time. Not for the trade in possibility but just because I collect them for whatever reason (I keep mulling over the idea of layering a wall with my favorites). I can also certainly understand your frustration, especially when the freaken thing was supposed to be free, with even getting the box to you. You've fought this much longer than I would've. At some point I would have just thrown up my arms in disgust and downloaded the damn thing, making sure to back it up before doing anything else. That kind of frustration just adds me to the legions of people that just don't bother buying a product just because it comes with some sort of rebate.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 01:49:33 AM »

You've fought this much longer than I would've. At some point I would have just thrown up my arms in disgust and downloaded the damn thing, making sure to back it up before doing anything else. That kind of frustration just adds me to the legions of people that just don't bother buying a product just because it comes with some sort of rebate.

Yeah, I am definitely a stubborn ass.   Tongue

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 05:01:28 AM »

.BTW, I hate to tell you this...but when you do get this and install it...you`re still using steam and it still takes awhile :shock: . I just thought I`d prepare you for this :wink:
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 09:36:33 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
.BTW, I hate to tell you this...but when you do get this and install it...you`re still using steam and it still takes awhile :shock: . I just thought I`d prepare you for this :wink:

I've come to the conclusion that I will just trade this as new for something else.  I am not sure that I want to deal with the game at this point.  It would have to be spectacular to overcome my prejudice due to the feedback I've read about Steam.  Thanks for the heads up though.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 12:40:29 AM »

LOL

really, steam is great, but I'm sure you will find a problem with it smile
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005, 04:04:44 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
LOL

really, steam is great, but I'm sure you will find a problem with it smile

That's it!  I am getting sick and tired of you complaining about me complaining!   :shock:  biggrin

I like it, I love it, I want more of it!

Hey, did I mention that I got an email today that the game shipped to me!?

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 04:30:26 AM »

Well seriously though...I`ll play both sides here. There`s plenty of I hate/love steam threads around so I won`t do that. I`m sure some people have issues with steam just like anything else out there. I`m sure some people don`t, just like anything else out there. Steam isn`t perfect, it`s nice to have easy patching through it but it is still cumbersome IMHO, but it certaintly NOT the devil like some make it sound. Have you used steam? If not, how do YOU know what it`s like? I`d hate for someone to miss a game like this, because of these reasons...Game this good only come out every few years. I`d think about it before you do it, that`s all. I`m certainly not going to try and change your mind. But I would think more about it, since you have to wait anyways. Just my opinion, Later.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Well seriously though...I`ll play both sides here. There`s plenty of I hate/love steam threads around so I won`t do that. I`m sure some people have issues with steam just like anything else out there. I`m sure some people don`t, just like anything else out there. Steam isn`t perfect, it`s nice to have easy patching through it but it is still cumbersome IMHO, but it certaintly NOT the devil like some make it sound. Have you used steam? If not, how do YOU know what it`s like? I`d hate for someone to miss a game like this, because of these reasons...Game this good only come out every few years. I`d think about it before you do it, that`s all. I`m certainly not going to try and change your mind. But I would think more about it, since you have to wait anyways. Just my opinion, Later.

Well, to be honest, I was turned off by those who stated that even for single player use, you had to be connected through Steam.  Not sure if that is true or not, but if it is, I will not touch the game.  I play single player at home and don't feel that I need to be connected to Big Brother to do it.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:01 PM »

I know that you have to connect the first time for it to match your copy and SN with your user name, after that you can set it to offline. It may periodically ask to connect to check for updates and maybe make sure you are still using the same copy (You could technically have multiple people using your username until one of them connects at the same time as you). But as far as needing to be connected the entire time, no it does not have to be.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 01:31:59 AM »

I know that you have to connect the first time for it to match your copy and SN with your user name, after that you can set it to offline. It may periodically ask to connect to check for updates and maybe make sure you are still using the same copy (You could technically have multiple people using your username until one of them connects at the same time as you). But as far as needing to be connected the entire time, no it does not have to be.

Well that't good to know.  Thanks for the info.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »

I am so thrilled to hear that I am not the only person on this planet that incompetent boobs are attracted to. My sympathies are with you, and hopefully you'll get your copy soon, cuz it's a GREAT game!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2005, 06:21:13 AM »

It would have to be spectacular to overcome my prejudice due to the feedback I've read about Steam.  Thanks for the heads up though.

It took me a month, tons of hours, and eventually a complete hard drive reformat (on a system that was just 3 months old) to get Half-Life 2 to work after I pre-downloaded it from Steam.  BTW, Valve's tech support never once responded to my requests for help, and I was diligent about keeping them up to date on everything I tried.  I ultimately downloaded the game five times (at about 20 hours per with my connection speed).

I still consider it the best FPS I played last year.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: