Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition

farley2k
farley2k
Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition launches on February 9th

final-fantasy-15-pocket-edition-1024x615.jpg
Gematsu has reported that Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition will finally launch on Android on February 9th. That’s a bit later than the predicted winter 2017 launch, but we’ll take it.

Pocket Edition promises to deliver a Chibi version of Final Fantasy XV that remains as close to the original experience as possible. If Square Enix can pull it off, it will be an impressive feat.

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    FINAL FANTASY XV: POCKET EDITION | AppSpy Review

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I can't decide if I want this or not. I've already played through the PS4 version 1 1/2 times, and outside of the cute chibi characters, this looks mostly like the same experience. I would have much preferred a new story in the same universe, rather than replaying the exact same game with different graphics.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    On second thought, Fahey's review(ish) over on Kotaku makes me pretty interested. One of the biggest issues I had with the original FFXV was it's lack of focus. By the time I got done chasing down 20 sidequests in the huge open world, I would forget what was even going on in the main quest. A version that distills things down to just the main quest elements might actually be really cool.

I'm squarely back on the fence.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Word of caution, the game does still have quite a few bugs. Predictably, none of them started showing up until Chapter 2...after I paid the $20 to unlock it all. :(

Sound has major stutters horribly during combat, there are a few framerate/slowdown issues, and the language sometimes randomly switches to French or German during battle. Nothing gamebreaking, but quite annoying.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    It is not compatible with any of my devices so I am in luck...I guess?
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    It is not compatible with any of my devices so I am in luck...I guess?

It's still an excellent game, despite the few bugs. I just wrapped up Chapter 3 last night, and am really quite amazed at how they were able to cram such a massive game into a portable version that all just...works.

I may actually even recommend it over the PS4 version, depending on what you're looking for in an RPG. If you like big open worlds with a million different things to do, then the PS4 version wins. If you're looking a tight, interesting Final Fantasy story, then the Pocket Edition is absolutely the way to go.