Lineage 2 Revolution - Mobile MMO

Gratch
Gratch
I was really looking forward to Lineage 2 Revolution. It looked like it could be a very interesting mobile take on an MMO. It was released yesterday, and I had a chance to spent a few hours with it.

Pros:
- Looks amazing. Seriously amazing
- Sound is fantastic
- Fairly easy to figure out how everything works

Cons
- The game literally plays itself. You click a button, and it walks you to the next quest objective. It will even go find and kill/collect whatever is required to complete the quest. Just for kicks, I sat my iPad next to me as I worked this morning, and randomly just clicked the "Advance" button every couple minutes. I went from level 11 to 14 in the process. You can turn off the auto functions, but it's not really any more compelling to manually move your toon to the next "!" than it is to just have the game do it.
- Combat is booooooring. Auto targeting, mash attack and use three skills once they come off cooldown. That's pretty much the extend of it. Oh, and I've played for about 3 hours, and have yet to see my HP bar budge off 100% yet.
- Oh my god...the currencies. There's an absolutely absurd amount of currencies available, each of which can be purchased through the store, of course. Red Diamonds, blue diamonds, gold, enhancement scrolls, soul crystals, varnishes, soulshots, friendship points, runes, SP, CP, on and on and on. I've played plenty of freemium games before, but this is utterly ridiculous.
- Upgrading/crafting is lame. You combine gear to upgrade to either a higher level, or create new gear. Easy enough, I suppose. But combining even crappy gear takes a rather significant amount of gold, and combining or upgrading anything that's actually worth a crap will require items that are either ultra-rare or (you guessed it) have to be purchased from the store.

Granted, I'm super early on, and maybe things improve as you get further into the game. As of right now, however, it's really only fun in a Progress Quest sort of way. Let your toon run around, occasionally press a button, and collect the silly amount of (mostly worthless) loot and rewards that roll in. Playing a "manager" like that can be kinda fun in spurts, I suppose, but wears thin with me pretty quickly. YMMV.

Comments

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I downloaded it but suspected it would play out as you described. I may have even tried it out in beta, I don't recall now.

It seems like the current wave of mobile "MMORPG"s have all decided to be games that essentially play themselves. I think the problem with a standard MMORPG 3D world (a la WoW) can become too complicated to navigate on a phone, particularly since any kind of mini-map is likely too small to be useful. So these games have gotten in the habit of just having everything autorun to it. Sometimes it's really nice and handy for mobile, but I think ultimately it hurts the game design. I suppose you could even ask if a traditional MMORPG model is really the place for mobile (phones in particular) due to the screen size.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I think the biggest issues is the utterly absurd number of currencies and P2W elements. I could probably stomach some of the "management" style of gameplay if I knew it would actually get me somewhere. But it won't, unless I either start paying, or grind for hundreds of hours.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    TA posted an interesting 5-star review today.

I think I might need to give this another go. I was completely turned off by it initially. Oddly, I spent last weekend playing Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms, which has sorta changed my paradigm on idle games.

Might give it another look.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I still differentiate between an idle clicker game and this type. For idle clickers I expect to have a good amount of "progress" even when I'm 100% away from the game, and improved progress when I'm active. This type of game you still need to always be active in the game, even if it's just to tap to the next screen. I tried this out over the weekend and it was pretty much what I expected. I suspect I'll get bored pretty quickly but I don't think I've given it a fair shot yet. Unfortunately I've been distracted by South Park and a couple of other games.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited November 23
    I've put quite a bit of time into this over the last couple days, and it's really starting to click. There's something both relaxing and satisfying about letting your toon do all the grunt work while you just manage their overall development. I thought i'd hate it, but now that I understand how all the systems work, it's really quite fun.

I have a couple main gripes:
    1. There's quite a bit of stuff to do each day: Arena PvP, multiple dungeons, daily quests, weekly quests, gathering quests, crafting, clan quests, daily achievements, etc. Takes a good couple hours to run through everything,. Once you finish all that, however, there really isn't much to do unless you want to start actually paying actual $$ for it. All that's left are story missions, which are really pretty boring.
    2. The game throws a shit-ton of systems at you from the get go, so don't be discouraged if it takes a few days to figure everything out. I'd be interested to see how many players quite before ever getting to level 20, simply because there's just so much stuff.
    3. Prices for the real $$ shop items are utterly insane. Even if they were charging half of what they currently are, I still think it would all be wildly overpriced. For example, they're charging $30 for mats, gold, runes, and gems that I typically gather in 1 day of playing at my low level. I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks at them, but their prices are just...nuts.

I'm honestly a little surprised how much I'm enjoying this. I doubt it'll keep my interest for more than a month or so (or until the huge paywall hits), but it's a blast in the meantime.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    This has become my go-to MMO right now, and I'm a little obsessed with it. Just dinged level 42, and finally got my CP (combat rating) over 100k, which is nice. I have a full set of S gear (goes C->B->A->S->R->SR) with a couple of R pieces as well. There's at least a good 2-3 hours of gameplay that I can do every day, that only requires me to engage in 5-10 minute chunks. It's awesom.

There's a very deliberate rhythm and pace to the game that is wholly satisfying. Do 10-30 second quests, get rewards, do 2-3 minute dungeons, get rewards, do 45-second PvP battle, get rewards, run a 5-minute dungeon, get rewards, etc. All the while, you're leveling, crafting, and otherwise improving your character in a myriad of ways. It's all very quick and very reward/improvement driven, which makes for a fun gameplay loop. If you can wrap your head around the fact that the grinding can actually be done without your input, there's a ton of fun to be had here.

I need a new Clan (guild) though. This one only has 5 active players (out of 30), and I don't think I'm getting near the rewards I could be. I hate to jump, as I've donated lots of resources, but it might be time to go exploring.

If anyone jumps in, shoot me a friend request (skinypupy) and I'll make room on my list.