[iOS] Final Fantasy Dimensions II

Gratch
Squeenix released FF Dimensions II last week. I wasn't crazy about the first game, but after reading some good reviews and seeing it get TA's "Game of the Week" last week, I decided to give it a go. Glad I'm did, as it's a very fun game...as long as you know what you're getting into.

Those expecting a full-fledged FF game will be sorely disappointed. FFD2 is much closer to the gameplay of their mobile titles (Brave Exvius, Record Keeper) than their standard RPG's. You move from static location to static location, playing out a quest in multiple battle stages. So far, it's been 3 or 4 waves of enemies, you beat them all, you finish the quest. It's perfect for short burst mobile gaming.

Where the previous FF mobile titles have fallen down for me has been the endless parade of timers and gatcha pulls that require you to either wait, grind forever, or pay to develop characters. All of those mechanics are gone in FFD2. This is a premium game ($15) with everything included. It's a little jarring, as we've been conditioned to expect these sort of mechanics, but they simply aren't there. Your characters earn, equip, and upgrade Signets, which provide skills, stat boosts, and unique summons. It starts out simple (4 slots, 4 Signets), and deciding on which Signets to use and which to leave on the bench becomes a fun strategy as you progress. The story is nothing to write home about, but it's got a lot of charm throughout. Combat is basic FF turn-based stuff, the music is fantastic, and the graphics are serviceable.

I like the fact that we're getting a full-featured game at a premium price, rather than the typical F2P micro-transaction stuff that ends up eventually pushing me away, regardless of how much I enjoy the game.

FFD2 won't be for everyone, but I'd certainly give it a recommendation for JRPG fans.