Pathfinder Adventures

Gratch
Gratch
edited July 20 in Video Games
Really late to the party on this one, but I'm am absolutely, 100% addicted to this game. It's available on both Steam and iOS/Android), and I'm playing the iOS version. It's stealing nearly all my gaming time from both the new FF XIV expansion and the FF XII HD remaster, something that I didn't think would be possible.

Having never played the physical game, I really had no idea what to expect. Tried it out on release, but the tutorial was SO bad, that I couldn't really make heads or tails of it. They patched in a better tutorial back in June, which has made a world of difference. It's not perfect, but at least got me to the point that I understand what the hell is going on.

At it's core, this is a card/dice game with fantasy tropes. You choose a party, explore locations, battle monsters, gain items, and level up. It's a very D&D'ish system, with each combat or action requiring a dice roll check against specific attributes. Characters have pluses or minuses to certain skills (i.e. a Wizard has pluses for high Int and minuses for low Dex, and vice versa for a Thief), and you can add blessings, allies, or items to dice rolls for a better chance of success. Hit points are actually determined by the number of cards in your hand and your deck, and management of this is absolutely critical. It's a very cool overall system that makes a ton of sense once you get past the initial learning curve.

I was initially very frustrated because of the time limit on each location, but once I figured out that both blessings and allies can be "spent" for additional turns, it solved most of that issue. It is still a dice-based game at heart, and RNGeesus can be incredibly cruel sometimes. It was apparently super buggy on release, but seems to be mostly stable now. The only bug I've run into is one that doesn't mark certain scenarios as complete. It doesn't stop progression, but can be annoying when trying to figure out which characters to bring along on specific quests in order to get the rewards (since you can only get them once).

My only real gripe is that while you do build a deck to some extent, you often are required to choose between multiple cards that you like, simply due to the small size of the card stash. If they doubled that, it'd be just about perfect.

I've dropped more $$ on this than any other mobile game I've ever played. Not because it's overly expensive, but because I enjoy it so much. On iOS, the first adventure is free, then you can pay $25 to unlock the remaining 6 (and all the characters), or buy them piecemeal. I payed the full fee, along with a few more $$ to get gold for treasure chests (additional abilities, spells, weapons, etc.). I don't think there's a free sample for Steam, but the entry price unlocks everything, iirc.

Comments

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    I'm kind of the opposite, having played the full campaign in the desktop version back when it came out and knowing pretty much what I was getting into. It's a very good implementation of the tabletop version. For Gratch, there is no stash in the tabletop version (I'm 97% sure). At the end of each scenario you rebuilt your deck and that was it. There was also no gold for treasure box option to get cool stuff to make things easier. The only way to get cards in the game was to earn them!

Anyway, I haven't gone back to it in a couple weeks because your friend RNGeezus has pissed me off too many times. I have three scenarios left. I will get back to them eventually.

I am looking forward to the other Pathfinders Adventure Card games to be ported over as DLC. There are at least three more full campaigns. I own two of them in the tabletop version, but the app/game saves so much time in setup, teardown, finding dice, figuring odds, etc.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited August 3
    It took a bunch of tries, but I finally got past the "Here Comes the Flood" scenario and finished up deck 3 last night. That scenario is actually pretty cool, but it can be tough to wrap your brain around the mechanics of what it's doing. I've now finished the first two scenarios of Deck 4 as well, and the difficulty is definitely ramping up.

Finishing deck 3 allowed me to assign a specific role all my characters, which is adding a bunch of interesting new strategic wrinkles. I'm going with:

- Valeros (Fighter-->Guardian)
    - Krya (Cleric-->Healer)
    - Sajan (Monk-->Drunken Master)
    - Ezren (Wizard-->Illusionist)

The only one I'm not entirely sold on is Sajan, but I haven't found a Dex-based replacement that works as well. I tried using Merisiel (the Rogue), but she ended up dead more often than not. Sajan seems to have better survivability...we'll see if I stick with him.

Also, there's a new expansion that was released yesterday, Rise of the Goblins. Adds 5 new scenarios, a bunch of new cards, and "goblin versions" of all the characters. I'm tempted to buy it, just for the character variants alone. :)

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Anyway, I haven't gone back to it in a couple weeks because your friend RNGeezus has pissed me off too many times. I have three scenarios left. I will get back to them eventually.

I lied. I deleted the game. I will possibly go back to it when a new campaign comes out.

Merisiel was one of my go to adventurers, probably second only to the sorcerer, Seoni.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    I will possibly go back to it when a new campaign comes out.

Like the one that came out yesterday? :p
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited August 4
    And in the usual Obsidian reputation for bugs, they released Rise of the Goblins onto iOS....completely broken. There is an error between the game and the App Store, that prohibits you from purchasing the game. Or, if you are a season pass holder, the content won't download.

They promised a hotfix this morning, and it never arrived. We shall see what happens tomorrow. Great job, Obsidian!

BTW, the standard game is fabulous, bugs and all. Like Gratch, I went "all in" on the purchase and also bought some chests along the way.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    And in the usual Obsidian reputation for bugs, they released Rise of the Goblins onto iOS....completely broken. There is an error between the game and the App Store, that prohibits you from purchasing the game. Or, if you are a season pass holder, the content won't download.

Yeah...Obsidian is a mess. If their games weren't generally so damn good, I'd give up on them entirely. I haven't even looked at buying the new stuff yet because a) I still have 7 scenarios to finish, and b) I knew it would be buggy for a while.

I've been playing The Black Tower scenario in Deck 4. There's one location there that can mess you up if you don't close it (every turn, do a WIS 8 check or bury a card). I've got my Cleric started there, and am making it my top priority to get that one closed ASAP. In my last three games, I've drawn the henchman within the first 4 cards, and beat him. I've then got a 91% chance to close the location with a WIS roll...and have rolled a 1 all three times.

I f'ng hate you RNGeesus
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    They finally fixed the bug (on iPad, not sure if it's on PC too) that prevented you from seeing all the scenarios that your characters had completed. Realized I was missing multiple card and power feats from a couple characters that I wasn't aware of.

Finished Deck 4 tonight...two more to go.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    The bug regarding Rise of the Goblins hasn't yet been fixed. I'm not terribly frustrated, as I'm still only about 20% complete on the initial game. But the bug speaks to the core of my issue with Obsidian. I love practically ALL of their games, but I always wait until the first few patches have been released. This basically means that although Obsidian could get a full priced retail sale out of me if their games were relatively bug free, they instead get purchased months later after patching and at a substantial discount. I'm not the only Obsidian fan that does this, so I wonder how much money they are leaving on the table because of poor quality control.

Anyway, I still need to go and figure out the blessings/heroes thing, as my one frustration is the lack of turns to complete a mission. In the earliest misssions it was a non-event. But now....
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Anyway, I still need to go and figure out the blessings/heroes thing, as my one frustration is the lack of turns to complete a mission. In the earliest misssions it was a non-event. But now....

This was messing me up early on as well. Learned that you can discard blessings and allies to explore again (thanks Coop for the tip). You can do this as many times as you'd like, and it makes all the difference when it comes to finishing a mission within the time limit. I went from running out of time on nearly every scenario to rarely (if ever) running out.

Have to be a bit careful, though. Don't want to get stuck needing an additional die for a check and you've used all your blessings to explore. :)

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I looked at this when the thread started and watched a "Let's Play" type video. End result? I was confused as hell and decided not to bite. So for now I live it vicariously though you. :)
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Have to be a bit careful, though. Don't want to get stuck needing an additional die for a check and you've used all your blessings to explore. :)

Not just that. Your draw deck is your character's health. The more cards you play, the more you have to draw. When you play a blessing that matches the timer blessing (other then blessing of the gods), it goes back into your deck (I forget the term) rather than your discard pile.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I looked at this when the thread started and watched a "Let's Play" type video. End result? I was confused as hell and decided not to bite. So for now I live it vicariously though you. :)

Yeah, just watching a "Let's Play" without having gone through a tutorial or played the physical game would make no sense at all.

I was completely lost when I first tried it, to the point of immediately uninstalling it. However, they recently redid the tutorial, which makes it much, much easier to understand the game mechanics. It's since become one of my most played and favorite iOS games ever.

It's free to try on iOS (not sure about PC), with the full tutorial scenario available.
    When you play a blessing that matches the timer blessing (other then blessing of the gods), it goes back into your deck (I forget the term) rather than your discard pile.

I keep forgetting to check that when I play a blessing. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited August 11
    So, f-ck Obsidian. I supported the game by purchasing the full title back when it was released. They released the new DLC last week, and I attempted to add it to my iOS campaign. Unfortunately, there was a bug that gave you the error 'item cannot be purchased'. They stated a fix was a day or two away. A week later nothing has changed. I entered their tech support forum, and got no initial response. Posted again....and now the workaround is I am supposed to go buy the entire game again on Steam, link my account, and then the iOS version should work.

So I'm apparently expected to purchase TWO versions of the same game, because they won't get their crap together. Only a negligent developer would tell their customer to go spend $50 for a game that I originally purchased with the season pass for $25. Looks like my support of Obsidian is ending. I'll wait until their games hit the $5 mark.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Wow, that's shitty. How that would be considered a "solution" is absurd.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I think I need to step away from this game for a while. I just failed a scenario on the last turn when my wizard failed a 92% chance roll. Twice.

Any further fails would have seen my iPad going through the goddamn window.

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I think I need to step away from this game for a while. I just failed a scenario on the last turn when my wizard failed a 92% chance roll. Twice.

Any further fails would have seen my iPad going through the goddamn window.

That sucks! Those types of rolls frustrate me, because they feel 'fixed'. However, a mathematician friend of mine once related to me some type of probability outcome axiom whereby the human condition is to perceive a high chance of success that fails after repeated attempts as 'rigged', but multiple GOOD outcomes in sequence under high chances of failure as significantly more acceptable.

In other words, when it comes to percentages, we tend to naturally have a dissonance to negative outcomes when we perceive the good outcome to be almost assured. By for that roll, you still had an 8% chance to lose. Every time.

But I hate it too.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Mother-FUCKER!!

I've been bashing my head against one scenario for the past two week. It's one where you have to corner three separate villains. I finally got all the locations closed, defeated one villain, and cornered the other two. Was down to the last 4 cards, and drew a Roc. It's power (if undefeated) is to move the character to an open location. I missed the roll, and since there's no open locations, the game just hangs and doesn't let me finish that encounter.

I was *this* close to finally beating this scenario, and now this. God, I hate this game sometimes.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Mother-FUCKER!!

I've been bashing my head against one scenario for the past two week. It's one where you have to corner three separate villains. I finally got all the locations closed, defeated one villain, and cornered the other two. Was down to the last 4 cards, and drew a Roc. It's power (if undefeated) is to move the character to an open location. I missed the roll, and since there's no open locations, the game just hangs and doesn't let me finish that encounter.

I was *this* close to finally beating this scenario, and now this. God, I hate this game sometimes.

Damn, that is really frustrating! I had something similar happen on a Final Fantasy boss a few years ago. After seven attempts I finally whittled down his health to 10 percent.....and then my PS3 froze. I never finished the game. Lol.

Don't use Obsidian's technical service to report the bug. They will tell you to buy the PC version!
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    (scratches game off the "maybe someday on sale" list)
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Mother-FUCKER!!

That's the scenario that made me uninstall. I didn't run into the bug, but the difficulty annoyed me so I quit and moved on to other things. I vaguely remember cheating something in the physical game to just get to the end and this might have been the scenario where I did that.