[image hosts?] Photobucket screws all us users over

Blackjack
edited July 13 in Hardware / Software Hell
Tagged:
So Photobucket decided to remove 3rd party image hosting support (including in ALL old posts using images hosted by them) unless you pay for a $39.99 (!) monthly plan. :s

So in some cases bloggers and the like had used them to put images in their stuff for years, and now it's all just broken, "3rd party image hosting not supported' images instead. I'm sort of screwed cause I'd used it for years to share things like screenshots and photos here and elsewhere, and now they're all broken images.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose most of their users over this. I would've been glad to upgrade to a reasonable monthly plan, but $480 a year??? :o I would've thought they would've added some limited 3rd party image hosting option for folks like me that don't do a whole lot of it.

Going over really well on Twitter (btw, didn't realize we can embed Tweets here; could be useful sometimes):

I'd considered imgur some time ago but something about the interface wasn't appealing to me.

Gonna check on something called smugmug.

If anyone can suggest any other image hosting services that support 3rd party hosting (whether free or maybe some reasonable fee), I'd be interested, thanks. I'll likely be archiving locally some images from my Photobucket account and eventually closing it.
Tagged:

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member edited July 13
    Ugh, can't delete comments now?
  • Isgrimnur
    GT Member edited July 13
    Let's see.. Nope.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    Did I miss something? :)
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Blackjack wrote: »

No, I had made a comment to test posting links to pictures in my Google Photos album and it didn't work so I was trying to just delete that comment to no avail. :p
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    It's insanity. I think they're quickly going to find out they won't have anymore customers to hawk their wares at. If that's really the way they want to do business, they're going to fade into irrelevance rather quickly. I deleted my account earlier this week. On another forum, someone who's paid for a tier recently got hassled to pay more, contacted support about it and was told that if they didn't like it, to unsubscribe. So... yeah.

I've moved over to Postimage.org. It provides a much cleaner UI without the hassle, and it's quick to boot.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 13
    Thanks, Rumpy! I'll look into that. Plus, that site has hot Russian models! <3

I mean yeah, if Photobucket said we needed to upgrade to a modest tier price plan I could understand.

I don't think Photobucket can tell users who were happy with ad-supported free 3rd party hosting for years (I was) abruptly that "oh yeah, now it's almost $480 a year if you want to retain that feature" and dream that they'll keep hardly anybody when there's plenty of free or at least more reasonable monthly-fee alternatives. I smell either some sort of panic by the biz execs that operating costs had gotten out of hand, or maybe new ownership or something.
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    EngineNo9 wrote: »

No, I had made a comment to test posting links to pictures in my Google Photos album and it didn't work so I was trying to just delete that comment to no avail. :p

That was not intentional. I believe I fixed the setting, let me know if it worked :)

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Rumpy
    GT Member
    I honestly don't think they know what they're doing. Or maybe they do, but to have such a drastic change in policy, at least be honest about it rather than BSing the customer. It makes me feel like there's some sort of criminal intent going on for such a drastic change to have happened and to be so blase about it. Imgur had made a policy change recently that customers complained about and they've since backtracked from that decision. It was actually kind of a similar decision, only with a redirect to prevent outside linking. Though they realized their error and listened to the criticism and people continue to use them and recommend them.

But Photobucket? There's something about this that makes me feel like they're not smart enough about their decisions to really know the effect it's having on their business, which is only going to hurt in the long-run. At $499 a year, that's crazy. If their intent is for businesses to use it, I don't know of any single business who use them, and after this, I doubt sure as hell any business would want to deal with them and their tactics. If their intent is for regular users who just want to post images to pay for the service, I've got pocket lint they can have. I think most people put up with them because of large libraries that they've had and were reluctant to change to a different service, but with PB forcing everyone's hands, I think the drive is there to find something better, which I think a lot of users will be doing. So long Photobucket, I won't miss you.

Umm, russian models? I'm not seeing any of those. Just seeing a nice clean site without many obstructions on my end. Mind you, they do have a few different urls which can be confusing (ie, Postimage.org, Postimages.org, postimg.org)

https://postimages.org/

• Blackjack
    GT Member
    I can't use an ad blocker at work, as it messes up this content management software we use for our publications so I see web sites unexpurgated. :) So the site cycles between offers to date Russian models and Asian ladies, but that's fine as long as I don't click them, lol.
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    Oh, I see. Well, as long as they're nice on the eyes :D
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 14
    Here's a test 'thumbnail in forum' and full-size 'forum hot link' post from Postimage :)
    Steve_Trevor_Doll_front.jpg

Steve_Trevor_Doll_front.jpg

Oh, I see. You can either post a neat little thumbnail that takes viewer to the Postimage album to view full-size; or you can post the full size right at a forum, neat. :)

I belatedly noticed that I did get a July 12 Photobucket nasty gram that went into my spam filter about 'suspension' of all 3rd party hosting instances of my images there.

Thx again Rumpy. :) I can see from reading up on the site it really was designed all around posting images at forums w/o worry (at least as long as Photobucket doesn't acquire them! =) )
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    Hey. Timex named a watch after me.....
    Timex_BJ_watch.jpg
  • Rumpy
    GT Member edited July 14
    Thx again Rumpy. :) I can see from reading up on the site it really was designed all around posting images at forums w/o worry (at least as long as Photobucket doesn't acquire them! =) )

Yeah, pretty great isn't it? :) They even have a desktop app, and a forum plugin, though what I'd wish for is a browser extension. But it's pretty slick for what it is.