Search sucks

EngineNo9
edited June 20 in Forum and Site Feedback
The search on this new forum software definitely leaves something to be desired, even moreso when compared to the old one. Is there any way to add in an advanced search or anything like that?

For one, you can't seem to use quotes to force it to get a specific phrase. For example, searching for "dead rising 4" gives me any thread that has the word dead, or rising in it. Like, anything that Dante Rising has posted in or that Greg Allman is dead. :unamused:

Also, you can't select which forum to search in, whether you want only thread titles or bodies, or how long in the past to look.

There may have been other features of the old search that aren't here as well, but those are all ones that I used regularly, and it would be great if there was a way to get some of that functionality back.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Well, here's the thing- upgrading search on any forum or website is a non-trivial thing. Unfortunately, advanced search is a feature that Vanilla reserves for their paid product, at the enterprise level. There are other options, but at a cursory glance, all require a considerable amount of effort to enable. It will likely be some time before I can look into it.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Alrighty, understood. I figured it was worth asking if there was an easy and/or cheap way to do it.
  • Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    google - site:gamingtrend.com/forum "dead rising 4"
  • Gratch
    GT Member
    Just wanted to thank Grim for that google search tip. I was looking for our old Final Fantasy XII thread, and the site's Search function made it basically impossible. The google search found it in the first 5 results.

0OGBsQR.jpg
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yes, I should have replied as well, that search technique is a life saver. Thanks Isgrimnur!
  • Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I am glad to be of assistance.