[movie] Wonder Woman

Blackjack
edited June 2 in Off-Topic
Tagged:
http://wonderwomanfilm.com/

Caught an early evening screening Thursday night with a sell out-crowd despite $18.50 3-D prices.

I quite enjoyed it. As far as the maligned FX-heavy late stuff, I don't see it as any worse than any other DC (other than The Dark Knight which managed to just focus on character agony instead of CGI-ness in its finale) or Marvel's over CGI'd frantic finales.

In spoiler code, I'd say my take on the CGI-heavy late stuff is...
The Diana vs. a god battle really seems pasted in from Man of Steel's climactic Metropolis battle. It's exciting all right, just sort of seems pulled in from a different film.

That part's entertaining enough but for me it's the earlier stunt work and sometimes imaginative camera work and viewpoints and character beats and humor that I'll remember. :)

I found Gal Gadot and Chris Pine really appealing, funny, vulnerable, brave, all that stuff. It's good to see Connie Nielsen (Gladiator, Game of Thrones) again and Robin Wright -- they're around my age (they're 51), but look marvelous and as a fogey myself it's good to see some 50+ women in big roles in a blockbuster.

The villains could've maybe used a bit more building up imho, but it's tough in origin stories some times to do much more than point that character A and B are "bad guys."

I didn't anticipate a big summer blockbuster in 2017 with WWI warfare scenes, but those were probably my favorite action set pieces. Maybe Battlefield 1 started a trend. :)

There is NO post-credits teaser at all, so if you see it, I advise not wasting your time waiting for something. :3

Anyway, I dug it, and I'll probably find a way to see it again sometime. :)
Tagged:

Comments

• 60 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Came to post impressions, but I can't think of much else but..."what he said"

I really hope it is a turning point for DC and they start making good movies. Far, far, FAR better than Batman v Superman and suicide squad.
  • Suitably Ironic Moniker
    GT Member
    The effects were good overall, but I did not like the CGI characters, used for the more elaborate melee stunts.

Otherwise, I will third Blackjack's comments. I really enjoyed Gal Gadot and Chris Pine's interplay; they had excellent chemistry.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 3
    It's funny on CGI though, we can go all the way back to Iron Man (2008), and everyone was like why does it HAVE to end with a two guys in metal suits going mano or mano with heavy CGI FX. And I certainly exclaimed the same thing at the end of Wolverine -- which was so interesting and then it was like some "Comic Book Movie in a Box" guy said "Hey, we gotta have a maniac in a robot suit! It just comes with the territory!"

I guess the question is whether the audience for this type of film HAS to have CGI Spectacular at the end, guys in robot suits or gigantic CGI floatie things crashing to earth (see my beloved Captain America Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy), or if it's possible to conclude one of these blockbusters with something smaller but powerful.

I think when Gladiator (2000) came out, it became one of my favorites and I sort of squabbled about that on forums I hung out on back then (didn't discover GT forums until 2008). Lot of people at that other forum would say they were disappointed the finale wasn't some big massive Braveheart style battle sequence with Maximus and his un-retired men riding to the rescue.

But I really thought it was refreshing and compelling for such a Big Giant movie to bring it back to the two characters you've gotten to know throughout the whole movie going mano to mano with nothing but knives.

And I'd have rather seen the WW cast and stunt doubles in something of that nature more than CGI Spectacular (to be fair the movie has plenty of that; i just mean the last big chunk). The other kvetch I had with that, which some critics pointed out was (think this is spoiler territory for those not having seen it, please don't peek :#
    Because of the "twist," we don't really know much of anything about the CGI enemy at the end. And the character we thought we knew, well, we didn't really know him, right?

And the actor portraying him doesn't really feel suited to that 'surprise' role. And in a way to me his character seems too much like Michael Shannon's Kryptonian -- god-like guy who doesn't see why this other god-like creature just doesn't destroy humanity. We've already been there, done that and got the t-shirt. :)
    I guess I also like villains with some sort of tragic aspect to them. Some sympathetic aspect. I tend to cite Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 as a best example. I think too often villains in summer moves are just bad and evil "just because," and aren't given some sort of empathy or interesting motivation. The "gas lady" in WW seems the closest thing, but I never quite felt like I understood why she was doing what she was doing.

Sorry to babble so much. I think I might go catch it again in AMC IMAX tomorrow afternoon. :)
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    LOVED it. Just as good if not better than the best of the MCU. If only the rest of the DC movies could be half as good... (My bittersweet realization)

Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 4
    I ran out and saw an early afternoon AMC IMAX show. Had a good size crowd inspite of horrendous 3D ticket pricing ($18+). Still loved it. I must have male menopause or something cause I still choked up during certain scenes, which is silly. :'( =)

One technical thing I grew to appreciate on 2nd viewing was how most of the mid-late action/combat scenes are pulled back enough for me to see what's happening, and who's positioned where. I love the Dark Knight films but often felt the combat was so zoomed in in the frame that i just could barely see what was going on. And some credit that also to The Bourne Identity being a big hit. So I noticed more on 2nd sight that you could see things clearly for the most part, aside from some really zoomed in action stuff in the early part. And I red Patty Jenkins really wanted WW to keep her grace in combat and not "fight like a man" per se.

And it's impressive from someone who's only got one indy drama to her credit (Monster) and TV work that for the most part wasn't about action. But then again Marvel does that all the time -- they give the franchise keys to directors who aren't all about action (Russo), and when it works you can get something fresh visually I think. :)

If I see it again, I would really like to see it on a good size 2D only screen. Not cause it's cheap, it's more that 3D glasses to me sometimes make it feel like I'm watching a big screen TV instead of a movie screen. And much of WW has such a dynamic color pallette, and I think 3D subdues that a bit. I'd like to see how it maybe differs on 2D.

And not to get all sappy, but WW's attitude in the film reminds me of one of Martin Luther King's speech passages that I saw during a visit to the MLK memorial a couple weekends ago: "Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." The world could use more of it, even in its summer blockbusters imho. B)
  • damphyr
    GT Editor
    Haha I love everyone complaining about $18+ ticket prices when $21 is a good price for a 2D movie around me! Off topic, but still funny.

I really enjoyed it, it's honestly the first DC movie in probably a decade I can say that about. (I loved Heath as Joker, but overall thought the movie was meh. I blame the fact that DC rarely leaves room for females in their movies)

I agree, I could have done without a lot of the FX-heavy scenes, but I have to say haven't felt this empowered and this good about just being a girl in a long time. It was a great time--even if I did mange to send my amazing if not overly feminist friend off the handle by joking that:
    They killed the pretty one. What can I say? I like Chris Pine. XD

Great watch, ranks right up there with DoFP for me.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 5
    About the finale stuff, Cinemablend had an interesting column about it, and not so much about the special FX:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1666689/the-biggest-problem-with-wonder-womans-ending

I can't really say that I spent the whole movie assuming someone in the cast was Ares. Part of me assumed he was just a myth taught to Diana.

And I didn't see the finale as saying "Ares is dead, now it'll be peace and goodwill among men forever." I read it more as saying he's sort of an 'accelerant' dropped on a fire (war), and maybe without him peace at least has a chance, if no guarantee, of thriving. :)

As far as it maybe not fully lining up with BvS's take on WW, I couldn't really gauge from the ending of WW, when she's walking away from Trevor's photo on the wall, precisely where she would go from there. Though certainly she sounds more optimistic then the brief glimpse we have of her thoughts in BvS (where she's talking about losing faith in mankind).
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 5
    Also, I have one let's say hardware-related question after the ending:
    Since her sword is essentially dissolved in the climactic battle, what sword is she using in BvS in the modern day?

She supposedly can't ever return to that island - so Diana can't just return to her home island and get a new sword. So maybe there's an idea for a movie plot right there? :) Unless she just decides to use an average sword instead of a sequel to the God Killer sword -- though to me that would be like Captain America losing his admantium shield and replacing it with a metal trash can lid. :#
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Also, I have one let's say hardware-related question after the ending:
    Since her sword is essentially dissolved in the climactic battle, what sword is she using in BvS in the modern day?

She supposedly can't ever return to that island - so Diana can't just return to her home island and get a new sword. So maybe there's an idea for a movie plot right there? :) Unless she just decides to use an average sword instead of a sequel to the God Killer sword -- though to me that would be like Captain America losing his admantium shield and replacing it with a metal trash can lid. :#
    That sword wasn't the godkiller- never was. In fact, she was the only one who ever referred to it as such. SHE was the godkiller

Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 5
    Thanks - yeah i guess I missed that key point, doh. :3

I guess PVPonline's Kurtz liked it. =)

Wonder Woman spoiler-free review
    https://t.co/HOalSkscK7
    *Despite the spoiler free label, he does recap the basic plot so maybe consider that if you haven't seen it yet and would like to. :)

While I had mixed feelings about MoS and BvS, I do hope they do a Man of Steel sequel and maybe evolve Supes into a more hopeful/inspirational character. Snyder did cast Gal Gadot for WW in BvS and helped work out WW"s story, help pick Patty Jenkins to direct and by all accounts was supportive and essentially stayed out of the way on WW's production etc., so I give him full credit for all that. :)
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 8
    Caught it again (3) on a nice, big 2-D screen at an Angelika theater. I think that's the way to go if you have access to 2-D -- some of the larger chains (AMC, Regal) only have 3-D on their larger screens.

imho it doesn't look bad on 3-D per se but it's such a colorful movie and it seems to really come through more on a 2-D screen and not wearing the glasses felt kind of liberating. If I see it any more times, I think that's the format to stick with now - plus Wednesdays are a discount day there, and it was $9, which is cheap for my area these days. Probably I should've seen Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a similar big 2-D screen since that movie was such eye candy.

This was my first time for WW packed in with a really near sell out audience in close quarters. Everyone was really into it, that on some of the funny scenes the laughter actually drowned out the ensuing lines. :) Not a problem for me since i'd seen it before but I almost felt bad for new viewers who maybe missed some lines. Pretty long, continous applause at the end which wasn't the case at the other couple shows I attended.

So 3 times is getting into Captain America movie territory for me -- maybe I just have a shield fetish. :# I still hope to coax my mom to see it. it's probably the only summer or spring flick so far that I'm sure she would enjoy and probably not have too much difficulty following.

Initial reviews for Cruise's The Mummy are ghastly (28% Rotten Tomatoes, and at least one review called it "the worst movie Tom Cruise movie ever"), which seems to bode well for WW enjoying another big weekend. WW seems to be keeping its audience really well during the weekdays, including about $26M Monday-Tuesday (boxoffice mojo).

While I don't obsess over box office like I used to here (lots of terrible movies rake it in at the box office afterall), I really like WW and hope it enjoys a lengthy, nice run at the box office. B)
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 8
    If you've seen it, Indiewire has a neat interview with the movie's FX production supervisor, Bill Westenhofer (Oscar winner for Life of Pi) on the No Man's Land sequence: Think it helped the sequence for the backdrop to not be green screen -- they really did build a WWI-style trench on a huge studio backlot. They really had mud, and the weather was apparently pretty miserable. :)

Plenty of digital FX but seemed like it was done in conjunction with stunt work and wire work and I've really enjoyed all that on each viewing. I kind of have an idea of where the digital is, but it feels pretty seamless in that particular setpiece.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    Director Patty Jenkins did a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) this evening:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6gc5mp/i_am_patty_jenkins_director_of_monster_and_wonder/
    She really embraces social media and seems to keep a level head doing it. :)

I convinced my 81 year old mom to see WW tomorrow (Sat.) at the same 2-D screen I saw it at on Wednesday. =) I think she'll really enjoy it. I took her to see Beauty and the Beast in March but she's otherwise declined invites to see movies this year. Just a lot of arthritis pain and scoliosis and back issues so sitting 2 hours isn't what it used to be for her. Think she'll enjoy it and it might take her mind off her physical woes for a while too.

• Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 12
    In case you need BluRay and a Wonder Woman action figure =) - It looks pretty cool. The set is $129.99 MSRP but I'm sure Amazon and others will heavily discount that if possible. I haven't seen a release date yet for the disc or streaming versions of the movie.

WONDER WOMAN Limited Edition Blu-ray Gift Set Revealed
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/wonder-woman-limited-edition-blu-ray-gift-set-revealed-a151741

Books are more my thing, and Amazon had a good price on the official "Art and Making of Wonder Woman" hardcover book so I've ordered that. It's apparently very popular, and so it seems back ordered into early July.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 22
    I won't say how many times I've seen this cause it's kind of embarassing but at least Wednesday evenings at one of my theater are $9 movie night which is a bargain for an evening show these days :)

I'm keen on Edgar Wright's Baby Driver (June 28th) and hope that will be my next summer movie repeat-see. B)

Here's Wonder Woman's end credits sequence, which lot of folks have been Tweeting about today (I wouldn't really call the images major plot spoilers but if you haven't seen it, perhaps skip this):

If you enjoyed WW's music, all the full tracks are up on YouTube (and streaming in the usual places too):

*Trying to embed the full playlist but it's just showing the one song instead.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I just saw this the other day (on $5 Movie Tuesday at the local theater), and I guess after all the hype I wasn't super impressed. It was good, but didn't feel like anything new or amazing that called for it to be some blockbuster hit.

Overall it felt too long and drawn out, and for whatever reason just didn't excite me too much. I actually thought the small Wonder Woman part in Batman v Superman Extended Edition was more impressive and exciting for some reason, though I can't put my finger on why. Maybe just because it was new then? Or she was acting like more of a real badass?
    The effects were good overall, but I did not like the CGI characters, used for the more elaborate melee stunts.

This certainly bothered me a lot during the whole movie. It was clear how many of those scenes were just pure CGI characters and stunts and it really felt like anything beyond a basic close-up didn't use Gal Gadot (or her stunt doubles) for much of any action.

And for the jumps and movement things it just didn't feel like proper physics was taken into account. That sort of thing can be done right (like The Matrix) with wires and CGI, but when people don't seem to have proper weight or momentum it really takes me out of it (like the Matrix sequels...).

And of course it has the basic problems like
    "this character stood by and watched dozens of her people get mowed down by basic troops a couple days ago, and now takes on a whole army including tanks by herself and blocks every single bullet with her arm bands with no problem".

Or why did everybody let Chris Pine's character even stand on the beach, only to finally threaten him when he's the last one there? If they thought he was an enemy all along, as they should have, then somebody should have just killed him in the battle like everyone else.

I also have to say that I kind of saw the twist coming a mile away.
    You don't put a known actor in a tiny bit part at the beginning of the movie if he's not going to come back at the end,
    which really telegraphed their misdirection.

Anyway, I could nitpick things here and there just like any movie. It was fun and decent, but doesn't stand up some others for me.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 22
    Fair enough, glad you got to catch it. :) For me, I love the characters, heart and humor enough and certain action sequences enough that it 'papers over' my own various concerns about various plot points and the undernourished villains. Also about the movie's 'gas physics.' :#

Ludendorf I believe is loosely based on a real-life general (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Ludendorff#Defeat); ironically though the Real general was the one pushing FOR an armistice with the kaiser. And I think I read somewhere the movie's general is supposed to have lost a son in the war, but this is never mentioned in the movie -- I think that would've given the general at least a hair of motivation/tragic dimension, and helped him resonate more as a villain. As it is, he's just a one-note psycho and I always prefer villains with more reason for being than "Hey I'm a psycho!"

Dr. Poison in the WW comics seems to have a fairly rich background too (she's injured in the war at some point, thus the partial face mask), and all WW does with her is a gas-crazy scientist with a Phantom of the Opera mask. I think just a couple expository minutes on her background would've made her resonate more. I guess Patty Jenkins would say this is Diana's origin story so the focus was really her and not the villains.

I do recall some of my favorite comic book films are the 2nd ones (The Dark Knight, and Raimi's Spider-Man 2 for example) because the origin story is out of the way, and you have room to explore memorable villains. I liked SM2's Doctor Octopus because of his tragic dimension, someone trying to accomplish something good but morphing into something bad. I tend to respond to that more than to "I'm a psycho evil villain! HIss at me when I'm on screen!" :)

I could argue The Joker is just a psycho of course, but his relationship to Batman is explored a lot in TDK I thought. Perhaps WW2 will have a more memorable villain(s) and more time to explore their background.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I just saw this the other day (on $5 Movie Tuesday at the local theater), and I guess after all the hype I wasn't super impressed. It was good, but didn't feel like anything new or amazing that called for it to be some blockbuster hit.

Overall it felt too long and drawn out, and for whatever reason just didn't excite me too much. I actually thought the small Wonder Woman part in Batman v Superman Extended Edition was more impressive and exciting for some reason, though I can't put my finger on why. Maybe just because it was new then? Or she was acting like more of a real badass?

This certainly bothered me a lot during the whole movie. It was clear how many of those scenes were just pure CGI characters and stunts and it really felt like anything beyond a basic close-up didn't use Gal Gadot (or her stunt doubles) for much of any action.

And for the jumps and movement things it just didn't feel like proper physics was taken into account. That sort of thing can be done right (like The Matrix) with wires and CGI, but when people don't seem to have proper weight or momentum it really takes me out of it (like the Matrix sequels...).

And of course it has the basic problems like
    "this character stood by and watched dozens of her people get mowed down by basic troops a couple days ago, and now takes on a whole army including tanks by herself and blocks every single bullet with her arm bands with no problem".

Or why did everybody let Chris Pine's character even stand on the beach, only to finally threaten him when he's the last one there? If they thought he was an enemy all along, as they should have, then somebody should have just killed him in the battle like everyone else.

I also have to say that I kind of saw the twist coming a mile away.
    You don't put a known actor in a tiny bit part at the beginning of the movie if he's not going to come back at the end,
    which really telegraphed their misdirection.

Anyway, I could nitpick things here and there just like any movie. It was fun and decent, but doesn't stand up some others for me.

For the second problem you list:

Danny Huston is also a known actor. He may not have an iconic role under his belt like Lupin, but he's worked just as much as Thewlis. Huston also looks much, much more like Ares from the comics, physically.

I'm not saying the twist was impossible to see, I'm just pointing out that the misdirection was not misguided.

The only big issue for me with the movie was that the climactic battle goes on too long, with similar beats repeated.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 29
    Vincent D'Onofrio, so memorable as The Kingpin in Netflix' DVD series posted a really complimentary Tweet about Patty Jenkins' direction. That made me think Vincent would be a great Ares, but maybe too obvious?

But certainly he's got the imposing figure and charisma to play a Big Bad in the DCEU imho, whether in WW or something else. B)

WW continues to have strong legs at the box office and good 'holds' each week:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm

It's doing well if not spectacular in international markets (almost $336M at last count). While it's outgrossed Batman v. Superman domestically it really won't come close on the international side (BvS took in almost $543M there).

For comparison, The Mummy flopped here ($70M to date) but was 'saved' by about $275M in international markets. Tranformers is really disappointing here on the b.o. side but doing very strong internationally (almost $200M already).

I don't think the WW success means DC/WB want all the DCEU films to go WW's route. Geoff Johns has said the goal is for each character's solo outing to really be true to that character. It'll be interesting to see what Matt Reeves does with Batman. Maybe Lord and Miller will get to do a Flash movie afterall.

Jenkins said in a Forbes interview she's pleased and said she never expected WW to have a Star Wars size opening weekend ($103M is great, but many others have had better and then usually gone done dramatically 2nd week) but was hopeful audiences would spread good word of mouth and it would continue to do well over the weeks.

I saw it a perhaps ridiculous number of times. It just felt like spending a couple hours with movie friends to me, and I never got tired of it. :)

I'd say my best technical experience was at the expensive Dolby AMC 2-D screen (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm). IMAX 3-D was OK but I didn't feel the 3-D added anything, and 2-D I think lets you better appreciate the movie's bright color palette.

• Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 30
    Oh, I insisted my mom get me a Steve Trevor Pop heroes desk toy for work :)
    Steve%20Trevor%20Doll%20front_zpsy1k4j9ut.jpg

Steve%20Trevor%20front%20of%20clouds_zpslizsmkez.jpg

An impulse buy I asked my mom for when I was helping her pick up a new microwave at Walmart over the weekeend. :) A coworker friend has an army of these on her desk though she's far more into Star Wars.

I'll get a WW/Diana one, but I think I want no. 172, the shield/sword variant. Yes I'm hopeless. :3

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/funko-pop-wonder-woman-movie-figures
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited June 30
    Corsair - Wonder Woman-themed PC build

While it's cool, my Motorola cable modem and Netgear router already spray muliticolor lights through my computer room like a freaking Xmas tree, so count me out on this transparent case. :#

fwiw, WW just passed Batman v. Superman in domestic box office. Though I think to be fair, BvS gave her a cool intro and I think helped build buzz for the WW movie. :) I really should check the expanded BvS version some day.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 13
    Well, geeze, I guess photobucket's charging for '3rd party hosting' on message boards now -- $39.99 a month! :o So a lot of my old forum posts with screenshots from my photobucket album are going to look dumb now. I guess I gotta find another image host.

So my Wonder Woman "The Art and Making Of" book arrived, and it's pretty awesome as far as these kind of books go:
    https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Art-Making-Film/dp/1785654624

Lots of interesting insights from cast and crew, including those in charge of costume design and special FX work. One thing I didn't know is it's much cheaper to create the 'walls' of sets and downtowns, and not so much their roofs -- so for sequences like in the Veld village they do a lot of digitized rooftops.

Also interesting that now for some more dangerous stunts, what they'll do is 'project' the image of a stunt person doing something onto a 'digital double.' And sometimes they'll have a stunt person doing something more dangerous, and then digitally 'paste' the actor/actress face onto the stunt person for close ups.

Not sure they always do that -- I think there's an earlier scene on the beach where Hippolyta's leaping off her house for a sword swing against German soldiers, and that's pretty clearly a stunt woman's face there. So maybe they pick their spots on where to make that expense. :)
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    That book looks awesome. So much so that I just ordered it.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    Cool. It's very high quality, sort of "wide screen." And it has a copy of that cool "squad at Veld" image from the movie, and that was also in Batman v. Superman.

I enjoy reading it but it's sooooooo heavy (because it's such high quality cover and so thick) that it can be painful for bedroom reading. Like trying to read a widescreen phonebook. :)

Box office wise, it's still holding well even as theaters phase it out in favor of new releases. Think it's expected to cross the $750M global mark today. I read the one major market it's yet to release in is Japan, and I think that's not happening until late August, so that may be it's one last spurt of global box office reinforcements in about 6 weeks. :)

I never was able to find a Wonder Woman Pop Heroes desktop toy anywhere. Guess I gotta Amazon it if I want a match at work.

https://www.amazon.com/Funko-Movies-Wonder-Action-Figure/dp/B01MUAEH5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499984888&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder+woman+pop+toy

Slightly different iteration with lasso to promote Justice League:
    https://www.amazon.com/Funko-POP-Movies-Justice-League/dp/B072BYW98S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499984888&sr=8-2&keywords=wonder+woman+pop+toy

One thing I didn't realize buyers were complaining about is the colors of the toy invariably don't match the image on the box. That's the same with my Steve Trevor one -- it has a light tan jacket and light brown boots; whereas the box has it with dark brown jacket and dark brown boots. I was robbed! :dissapointed: :)
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 13
    There was some overexcited 'news' that Patty Jenkins was confirmed for WW2, but she Tweeted nothing's confirmed yet and she's only been talking in general terms in some interviews about what she'd like to try to do IF hired for a sequel; and that she's had informal chats with DC's Geoff Johns about it. It's just confirmed, there's no contract yet etc.

Also some rumors about a WWII perhaps being set in 1980s Cold War. While I could envision that, I doubt that's in any way confirmed yet. One Jenkins interview I read closer to release, she seemed warm to an interviewer's thought about moving a sequel maybe around 20 years further, roughly around the same setting time of say Raiders of the Lost Ark (1936) or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1938). But certainly that was just conjecture too at this point.

I do recall when I left my last screening of WW, a couple women were chatting about. So if......
    Ares, God of War is dead, do you still have a World War II in the DC movie universe?
    Which I think is an interesting point. :) Although humans are humans. War is what we do, alas.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I wouldn't mind a sequel set during WWII. That would bring it more in line with the classic comic. There's a lot of potential material for a sequel. I'd like to see her get the invisible plane.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 14
    So WW's continuing to 'hold' exceptionally well in spite of heavy summer competition. Now that's not to say it'll come close to stuff like Nolan's TDK and TDKR in total box office, but it is considered one of the 'leggiest' comic book films since Raimi's Spider-Man in 2002:

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-box-office-superhero-movies-1020621

If you compare WW's weekends with Spider-Man's back then -- which was not in an era drenched with super hero movies -- it's interesting to see them both holding somewhat similarly. And then each getting one last oomph of sorts from a big holiday (July 4 for WW; Memorial Day for Spider-Man).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=wonderwoman.htm

Spider-Man (2002) box office:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=spiderman.htm

SM took a huge amount in Japan back then ($56M). I doubt WW will pull in that much, but it is considered a major market for super hero type films, and it'll be interesting to see what it does there.

Boxoffice Mojo also has a neat 'comic book adaptations' listing:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=comicbookadaptation.htm
  • MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I'm curious where you ordered it from? Amazon doesn't have great options and the "Shawn" dude selling it for $1.73 has got to be some sort of a scam.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 14
    I'm curious where you ordered it from? Amazon doesn't have great options and the "Shawn" dude selling it for $1.73 has got to be some sort of a scam.
    fwiw, I bought mine directly from Amazon LLC (i.e., 'fulfilled and ships from Amazon") for $23.97. The MSRP US price is $39.99.

I know in my case it took several weeks for Amazon to get the book back in stock. But when I click the link in my Amazon orders backlog, it no longer shows an option to purchase direct from Amazon LLC. So perhaps they sold out for now? It is their "#1 bestseller in Art Encyclopedias."

Target.com *had* a good price ($25) but indicates it's also out of stock:
    https://www.target.com/p/wonder-woman-the-art-and-making-of-the-film-hardcover-sharon-gosling/-/A-52369285

If you don't mind paying full price on it (or if you're a Barnes & Noble card holder, you'll get a modest 10% discount), I've seen it on the shelves at my local Barnes & Noble store in the section devoted to books about movies and cinema. At the least, you might check for it there so you could peruse it a bit. My store had one 'shrink wrapped' copy, and one with the wrapping removed so you could browse through it.

I checked B&N's web site and online they only sell at inflated prices through their marketplace:
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wonder-woman-sharon-gosling/1124987793?ean=9781785654626

Checked actual publisher's site Titan Books but they just link back to Amazon which isn't really helpful at this point:
    https://titanbooks.com/wonder-woman-the-art-and-making-of-the-film-9114/

I'm now Tweeting just a wee bit, I might see if I can Tweet to or Direct Message Titan Books about if they still have more copies of the book to ship to retailers or if they've 'completed' its run at this point. Haven't seen any mentions of late about the WW 'making of' book's status.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 14
    I should at least sneak in one image of the book. This is concept art for the beloved No Man's Land sequence. B)
    WW_book_No_Mans_Land_concept_art.jpg

I know a scene's memorable when the lines -- "No, but that's what I'm going to do" "Diana!!!!!!!" 'What the bloody hell is she playing at???" -- stick in my memory. :)