[TV] Doctor Who

OrangeKyle
OrangeKyle
edited February 28 in Off-Topic
I'm shocked and appalled that there wasn't already a Doctor Who thread here!

Favorite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (Seventh)
Favorite companion: Dorothy "Ace" McShane
Favorite villain: The Master (especially the original, portrayed by Roger Delgado)
Favorite Classic Who story: Remembrance of the Daleks
Favorite New Who episodes: It's a tie between The Doctor Dances and Heaven Sent
Favorite regeneration: Christopher Eccleston (Ninth) to David Tennant (Tenth)
Hopes for the Thirteenth Doctor: Idris Elba, Tim Roth, or Hayley Atwell

Comments

• USMC Kato
    USMC Kato
    GT Member
    I'm rooting for Tilda Swinton to get the call for th next Doctor Who
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    I could see her as a Time Lady, but not the Doctor. The Doctor is a renegade, and I just don't get that sort of vibe from Tilda Swinton.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1488301389:

I'm rooting for Tilda Swinton to get the call for th next Doctor Who

She is the front runner, should the next Doctor actually be female.
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    Well, okay, I guess I should be more specific. There wasn't already a current Doctor Who thread. The most recent one of those hasn't had a reply in more than two years, which means nobody discussed Series 9/Season 35. IMO it was the best one since Series 5/Season 31.

If Tilda Swinton is cast, I will give her a chance, but my expectations will be low. Maybe she'll grow on me after a while. It took me a little while to warm up to Jon Pertwee when I first started watching Classic Who, but he eventually won me over.
  • USMC Kato
    USMC Kato
    GT Member
    on 1488303323:
    Well, okay, I guess I should be more specific. There wasn't already a current Doctor Who thread. The most recent one of those hasn't had a reply in more than two years, which means nobody discussed Series 9/Season 35. IMO it was the best one since Series 5/Season 31.

If Tilda Swinton is cast, I will give her a chance, but my expectations will be low. Maybe she'll grow on me after a while. It took me a little while to warm up to Jon Pertwee when I first started watching Classic Who, but he eventually won me over.

All of the current doctors that were cast I've had to warm up to. With the exception of Eccleston, who, IMO, had tremendous charisma that got me back into watching the franchise.
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    Agreed. Eccleston had me hooked by the end of his first scene. I warmed up to Peter Capaldi somewhat quicker than most of the others as well—by about the middle of his second full episode, I liked him a lot.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I've had the opposite reaction to Capaldi. Going into his time, I really liked him as an actor, and I was really looking forward to it.

However, I don't think they ever quite settled on an appropriate tone for him. They seem to be throwing a bunch of character quirks at the wall to see what sticks.

It doesn't help that they had to reboot Clara multiple times along the way.

There have been some decent episodes, but in general, it feels like the franchise ran out of steam.

So, in the end, it could be a great thing to get a new doctor and, perhaps more importatly, a new showrunner. Moffat wrote some of the greatest Who episodes of all time, but I think he was a little in over his head as showrunner and couldn't keep things focused.

Moffat's solution to going on always seemed to be "yes, but more" even though that tends to weaken what you're trying to increase. Compare the ever-increasing number of Dalek under his reign with the first appearance of a Dalek in the reboot. Eccleston was scared shitless by a single Dalek, and as the episode went on, it became apparent why that was so. Eventually, the Doctor was defeating Dalek armadas, and that just makes them seem ineffective. "Blink" gave us one of the most fantastic set of villains in recent memory. But then Moffat took over as show runner and gave us a planet of his creations, which, again, lessened their impact. And then, "You think a planet was scary, how about the Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel?! HA!" But while that was a cool as hell image, that's all it was. Frankly, that was just stupid, in the end.

Anyway, I was very excited for Moffat to be showrunner when it happened, and I think he put in some good work, but I think he's well past his prime, so I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else can do. And I think, unfortunately, some of that past-his-primedness has splashed onto Capaldi, who could have been great, but is instead kind of all over the place.
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    I can definitely understand your reasoning, and I respect your opinion, but I loved the most recent season and Peter Capaldi's Doctor in it. There have been some definite missteps in the past five seasons, but I've liked more episodes than I've disliked.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Apparently, the number of bets recently for actor Kris Marshall have caused the betting agencies to suspend betting.

Maybe this is a flurry based on rumor, but the odds are even that Kris Marshall is the next Doctor. My wife'll be interested, since he was lead detective for a while on a show she watched (Death in Paradise).

He's 6'2" and a redhead. Or ginger, as the brits like to freak out about. Guaranteed, there'll be a ginger joke in the first episode.

He looks a bit like one of the more psychotic Weasleys:

a43bcea021040f5d6c9a1ec79640aa9b.jpg
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    Hmm...I could see it. This is my first time hearing of him and that show, which is an indicator of good odds—Doctor Who tends to go for less known actors to play the lead role. Mind you, I don't exactly go around looking up every British actor I see. *shrugs*
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Doctor Who's Next Doctor Is Finally Being Unveiled This Sunday

hyxnv2qsjtdvvlib4jwn.png

It’s been 165 days since we heard that Peter Capaldi’s time on Doctor Who was up. Now, we finally know that it’s going to be just a few short days until we meet his successor.

The BBC has just announced that this Sunday, July 16, after the men’s Wimbledon final has aired on BBC One (they couldn’t have made this more thoroughly British if they’d tried, really), the identity of the 13th Doctor will be revealed. Here’s a needlessly dramatic trailer announcing the news.

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member

My jaw hit the floor.

Apparently, the rumors were starting to build about this casting over the last couple of days, but I had not heard a single thing.

I think this is a great choice.

I think they did a better job on casting lockdown this time than with Capaldi.
    To me, they're cries of it not being a woman were convincing. In hindsight, they've been laying the groundwork for a while with Missy

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    And predictably, there is a faction of fandom all up in arms that it's a feminazi plot to promote the Mary Jane agenda.

Some people need to get a goddamn life.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited July 17
    DE3lg6TXkAAIKIi.jpg

Did we learn nothing from Starbuck?!
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I'm not sure why I'm still spoilering. It's certainly out there now. But just in case, I guess...
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    the odds makers (yes there is gambling on this in the UK) had her pegged as the favorite on reveal day, but yes this was kept under wraps more than with capaldi where everyone knew...

i am not one who thinks they HAD to eventually have a female doctor, but I am fine with it. i always just want a good actor which they ALMOST always have had (Hello McCoy!!!). She is very good in Broadchurch, though I expect her Doctor will (obviously) be very different from that character.

I'm curious what they will do for a companion. Do they cast a male, or do they have an all female TARDIS team? I guess they could have 2 companions like they sort of had this season.

I was mad about yesterday's announcement. I wanted them to announce a date for series 11. I fear it may not be until next Fall. (They better start filming very soon if they want to have a spring season again.)