[TV] The Walking Dead Season 7 (Careful there will be Spoilers!)

rittchard
edited October 2015 in Off-Topic
First off, holy freaking shit!!!! Now THAT looks like a zombie apocalypse lol!! So glad that they (more or less) explained how Alexandria lasted so long without being overrun, and so glad they did it with a giant bang.

Awesome premiere, probably the best "premiere" episode of the series in terms of epic feel. Pretty much loved everything about it, except that a number of characters kind of got sidelined. Looks like they will be more prominent next week, though.

Oddly enough, in spite of all the great action and comedic lines, I think my favorite moment of the whole episode was Rick and Morgan sitting on the porch with baby Judith. I can't say exactly why I loved that scene so much, but I just really enjoyed it. I loved the dynamic between the two actors, but also watching the baby's facial expressions was priceless for me as well. Second favorite scene was when Rick was trying to teach the doofuses how to stand up for themselves, but end up having to take the zombies out himself. It was like watching the X-Men or some superhero team in relative comparison to the lameness of the Alexandrians.

Kind of sad to see Ethan Embry come and go like that. I've always liked him but this was kind of a thankless role. On TD he said he auditioned for multiple roles, but wouldn't say who. I'm guessing he originally went for Rick, I could see him doing OK there. Also I think he would have done well as Aaron, though I definitely love Ross Marquand in that role.

Anyway, just wanted to get the ball rolling on this thread. TWD is back!!!!

Comments

• 253 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    They could have saved themselves a lot of effort by simply throwing a whole bunch of molotov cocktails in the quarry, but I guess it's less dramatic that way.

Also, where did they get all those cars to line up along the sides of the road??

I wasn't a fan of the constant jumping back and forth between the black and white flashbacks and the colorized action. It was too distracting to the flow of the story.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    Not a fan of the CG zombie horde. Reminded me of a LOTR movie. :icon_razz:

on 1444684284:

They could have saved themselves a lot of effort by simply throwing a whole bunch of molotov cocktails in the quarry, but I guess it's less dramatic that way.

I had the same thought about a tanker load of gasoline, but I suppose gas should be getting pretty precious by now even if it rarely seems to be a problem for them. The whole Pied Piper approach seemed kind of dubious and the zombies' cooperation in sticking to the roads was just too orderly.

In spite of that it was dramatically well told and I'm glad to have the show back.

• Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Although it didn't bother me, I had the same exact thought of the zombie horde and LOTR (may have been that particular tint of grey or something, too).

And I thought about torching that horde, too. It does seem logical. I imagine they were worried that the noise of the burning zombies (and the trucks potentially blowing up) would have brought even more zombies. Still, they should have addressed it.

I liked the moment with Rick and Morgan and Judith, too, although my favorite moment of the whole episode was when Morgan asked Carol if she'd been a cop. That brief moment was perfect in writing and performance. No matter how much the show piles on the zombies, it's still very much about the characters. That's what works.

Also, rittchard, if you're gonna title the thread "careful for spoilers" you might not want to say you're sorry to see Ethan Embry come and go so fast. :icon_razz: At this point, though, I imagine people know that walking into this thread is fraught with spoilery dangers. I avoided it until I'd seen the episode.
  • Roman
    GT Member
    smoke from fire would have alerted 'others' to the area and also expose Alexandria - my thoughts anyway.

• Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1444749439:

smoke from fire would have alerted 'others' to the area and also expose Alexandria - my thoughts anyway.

You make a good point.

Although they are all about bringing other people in. OTOH, they like to be in control of who those others are.

Still, this seemed such an obvious way to handle the problem, they really should have addressed it directly in dialogue.
  • Mystic95Z
    GT Member
    Should have just lined up a row of wood chippers on the road with people on top of them, the mess out back would have been putrid though lol.
  • hepcat
    Carol continues to deliver...even when she's doing something as small as talking with her neighbors while still pretending to be the kindly matron. :icon_lol:
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1444708894:

... I suppose gas should be getting pretty precious by now even if it rarely seems to be a problem for them.

Mind you, I don't know if anyone has considered the alarming lack of ammunition manufacturers in the group.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    CAAAAAAAARL!
    MEEE SHONNNN!!!!!
    CAAAAROLLL!!!!!
    GLEEENNNNNNN!
    DAAAAARYLLL!!!!!
    *ends Rick impression* :smirk:

While I enjoyed the opener and the nearly World War Z-size horde stuff, I just wonder - in the long run- how much farther they can push Rick Grimes before he just becomes a caricature of himself.

Both physically, as in once he's gutted his ostensibly best friend like a pig, torn out a man's throat using his bare teeth, stuck his hands through a walker's throat to essentially crush its head from the inside, and blown a guy's head off (albeit with permission) so close to his group that it splatters blood all over people. I mean, the pig-gutting of Shane was shocking to me, but at this point I practically don't have a reaction to anymore to him committing over the top violence. And psychologically, I don't know at what point Rick hollering at everyone in sight about the Need to Do What's Necessary and people not knowing what he's capable of might get more tiresome than inspiring to watch.

I'm not rooting him to return to be Herschel's veggie farmer. :icon_smile: I just worry long-run the storyline will flush all his humanity away and leave him a one-note ranting gunner/knifer. Even if his change makes sense given all the travails they've been through. I enjoy the Morgan character and it's good to see those two get more face-time together this season.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1444946608:

I picked Gabriel. He's a crazy loose cannon and let's face it, with the addition of Heath and Morgan, they are over their African American male quotient. Not saying the producers are racists, but there does seem to be a glass ceiling.

I'm guessing a lot more than just one will die. Probably Aaron's boyfriend (forgot his name), that annoying Nicholas guy, some more townspeople, maybe Notcop Fistbump chick. Of the core cast, I'd guess the only "safe" characters are Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl and maybe Carol and Maggie. Everyone else is high likelihood, since you know they'll want to take out at least one "main" character at some point to kick fans in the nuts without actually causing a massive backlash.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1445014578:

on 1444946608:

I picked Gabriel. He's a crazy loose cannon and let's face it, with the addition of Heath and Morgan, they are over their African American male quotient. Not saying the producers are racists, but there does seem to be a glass ceiling.

I'm guessing a lot more than just one will die. Probably Aaron's boyfriend (forgot his name), that annoying Nicholas guy, some more townspeople, maybe Notcop Fistbump chick. Of the core cast, I'd guess the only "safe" characters are Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl and maybe Carol and Maggie. Everyone else is high likelihood, since you know they'll want to take out at least one "main" character at some point to kick fans in the nuts without actually causing a massive backlash.

I predict that we will lose one of those safe characters this season.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1445022374:

on 1445014578:

on 1444946608:

Seems likely. How many dramas go >7 seasons? Won't surprise me if TWD only has one or two more seasons ahead, especially now that FTWD is waiting to inherit.

I voted for Gabriel, who has seemed expendable from the moment they introduced him. Plus, black male.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1445051648:

on 1445022374:

on 1445014578:

on 1444946608:

Seems likely. How many dramas go >7 seasons? Won't surprise me if TWD only has one or two more seasons ahead, especially now that FTWD is waiting to inherit.

I voted for Gabriel, who has seemed expendable from the moment they introduced him. Plus, black male.

Gabriel is also the most self-destructive of the group. He's just on a path to be taken down. He's past redemption.

Sasha is on a similar path, but she deserves that redemption. I think she'll come around. Hopefully it won't be too late.
  • Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1445051648:

on 1445022374:

on 1445014578:

on 1444946608:

I don't know.. They still have a lot of source material to choose from and plenty of room to make up their own stories.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Absolutely loved this last Sunday's episode. So tightly plotted and action oriented, and yet they were able to include some backstory moments and plot movement for Enid. And OMG Carol. Carol. Carol. Wow, just wow. So many great moments throughout the episode, I wouldn't even know where to start. The only irritant for me is Morgan. They are working too hard to have him counter Rick's philosophy. The concept is good, but seriously when psychopaths are literally chopping up your friends with an axe, THEY NEED TO DIE. There's no grey area there and they desperately are trying to create it.

Also, if you saw the Talking Dead afterwards it was absolutely hilarious. Kevin Smith compares the episode to getting a blow job and then having someone keep continuing after you orgasm lol. I also agreed with him that this was probably one of the top 4 episodes of the entire series (he also says top 20 episodes of all TV all time, which I also agree with).
  • Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1445361866:

Absolutely loved this last Sunday's episode. So tightly plotted and action oriented, and yet they were able to include some backstory moments and plot movement for Enid. And OMG Carol. Carol. Carol. Wow, just wow. So many great moments throughout the episode, I wouldn't even know where to start. The only irritant for me is Morgan. They are working too hard to have him counter Rick's philosophy. The concept is good, but seriously when psychopaths are literally chopping up your friends with an axe, THEY NEED TO DIE. There's no grey area there and they desperately are trying to create it.

Also, if you saw the Talking Dead afterwards it was absolutely hilarious. Kevin Smith compares the episode to getting a blow job and then having someone keep continuing after you orgasm lol. I also agreed with him that this was probably one of the top 4 episodes of the entire series (he also says top 20 episodes of all TV all time, which I also agree with).

My wife and I feel the same way about Morgan... Like him, but afraid he is going to go all holier than thou... Sometimes, in this environment you have to kill.. He just gave those people an opening to come back...and a gun...
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    First of all, there will be spoilers, so just stop if you haven't seen the October 25 episode. I'll hide the big one, but I'm not putting the whole thing in spoiler text, and there'll be too much info.

Okay, that said.

Glenn is not dead.

Much as I love being right (I did say we'd lose a biggie this season), there are too many clues that this is misdirection. While we saw eating happen with him on the ground, we didn't specifically see where those entrails were coming from. The other dude fell on top of him, and we didn't even see that guy after the fall. That dumpster is an obvious hiding space, too. Mostly, though, the big clue was the telltale throwaway line: "I'll find a way to let you guys know I'm okay." No one ever says that on this show. There's a reason it's in there.

Also, next week seems to be a Morgan flashback episode, which means they're setting us up for a week of getting used to the idea before a triumphant return.

What I see happening is that he never makes it back and they start to assume he didn't make it.

We get another major breakdown from Maggie or, alternately, a shocking lack of response. I'm not sure how much more she can take.

Then we get a flare in the night. Probably right at the end of the episode, too, so we're left with hope but are still unsure, which means it'll be three weeks from now before we get the relief of finding him alive. It's possible that the Morgan episode will have some wraparound stuff from Alexandria and maybe we'll get the flare at the end of that episode, but I'm betting not.

The only chance that he is really dead is because the WD crew love playing with story conventions and throwing them out the window. But it really doesn't look like it IMO.

Of course, by saving him, they're earning themselves some other big death, whoever that may be, so my prediction is still on track. :icon_wink:

And there's every chance that it'll be Glenn anyway. He may even return to us with a bite, so it's a limited time reprieve. In fact, this seems very possible, the more I think about it.

• Blackjack
    GT Member
    Short of a
    well-placed open sewer manhole, I saw no reasonable way for Glenn to survive short of cheesy "it's just a dream" type stuff, or maybe a The Flash-type "alternate reality" sequence based on them taking the wrong turn in town.

To me, going back to the 1st season, Glenn was always someone carving his own path and not relying on someone else. I understand him showing faith in that other guy, but I always saw Glenn as something of an escape artist, always seeking his own way out of a situation. If this really is his demise, I wasn't really keen that he was relying on this obviously despondent, screwed up newb to navigate his way out. I would've expected him to seek a sewer manhole cover, a ladder on a building etc.

It was peculiar that Steven Yeu (Glenn) didn't appear on Talking Dead, as their general habit is to have the cast member on the show after the episode they died in (but not always). Chris Hardwick said not to read anything into that. Scott Gimple's statement was that Glenn's story would be "resolved" in some way. Various reports indicate the actor had re-upped for the show, but it's unclear if that's flashbacks or what.
    I do feel like the overall kill count is reaching the point of rushing, so that I don't even know the names of the people that are getting killed. I'm supposed to feels something I guess, but I at times don't feel anything more than I did when the various bad actors yelling bad dialogue got killed in Romero's Day of the Dead (1985). "Oh my, that guy/gal died. Too bad I don't even know their name or care about them."

Maybe that's by design, but I don't know -- the ratings are apparently down noticeably from the last couple seasons. Don't know if it's a sign folks are tired of the, or tired of seeing long-running characters die (e.g., Beth), or tired of meeting new characters who get offed before you even develop an attachment to them.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1445878334:

Short of a
    well-placed open sewer manhole, I saw no reasonable way for Glenn to survive short of cheesy "it's just a dream" type stuff, or maybe a The Flash-type "alternate reality" sequence based on them taking the wrong turn in town.

To me, going back to the 1st season, Glenn was always someone carving his own path and not relying on someone else. I understand him showing faith in that other guy, but I always saw Glenn as something of an escape artist, always seeking his own way out of a situation. If this really is his demise, I wasn't really keen that he was relying on this obviously despondent, screwed up newb to navigate his way out. I would've expected him to seek a sewer manhole cover, a ladder on a building etc.

It was peculiar that Steven Yeu (Glenn) didn't appear on Talking Dead, as their general habit is to have the cast member on the show after the episode they died in (but not always). Chris Hardwick said not to read anything into that. Scott Gimple's statement was that Glenn's story would be "resolved" in some way. Various reports indicate the actor had re-upped for the show, but it's unclear if that's flashbacks or what.
    I do feel like the overall kill count is reaching the point of rushing, so that I don't even know the names of the people that are getting killed. I'm supposed to feels something I guess, but I at times don't feel anything more than I did when the various bad actors yelling bad dialogue got killed in Romero's Day of the Dead (1985). "Oh my, that guy/gal died. Too bad I don't even know their name or care about them."

Maybe that's by design, but I don't know -- the ratings are apparently down noticeably from the last couple seasons. Don't know if it's a sign folks are tired of the, or tired of seeing long-running characters die (e.g., Beth), or tired of meeting new characters who get offed before you even develop an attachment to them.

You saw what they wanted you to see (that angle was very carefully chosen), so of course you didn't see a way out.

The nearly nameless Alexandria people are definitely by design. You're not meant to be affected by their deaths so much as by the reactions to those deaths by the characters you do know. It's what the deaths mean in the larger scheme of things (the morality as a hindrance vs necessity theme, for example).

As for the ratings, I don't know what they are compared to previous years, but they are still ahead by a very large margin. #1 for the week with a 6.2 over Monday Night Football's 4.5.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    If you were right then damn you Bullwinkle!!!! lol just kidding! As I watched that in horror, I kept thinking about your comment over and over in my head.

"I predict that we will lose one of those safe characters this season."

Grrrr, but as they said on Talking Dead, I guess the audience just keeps building up the "can not kill" list in their heads, so taking one out is kind of expected to get us out of our complacency.

I was pretty upset, but after reading a lot of the analysis and rumors online, I felt a little better. I haven't dared to go back and rewatch the scene to convince myself one way or another. I think one of the biggest spoilers in that regard is that there was a photo of him filming with one of the newer characters that hasn't even shown up yet, so it's not a flashback. Also comments he made at one of the conferences seemed to indicate he had more plot upcoming. But maybe that's all wishful thinking.

All in all another incredible episode. A lot of frustrating and disappointing moments, but I was on the edge of my seat barely breathing for about half an hour. They even made me care a little about some of the no-name Alexandrians in such a short period of time, and as much as I hated Nicholas, man what a way to go.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I watched last week's and last night's episode back to back. Man, that was a brutal grind as a viewer to endure.

It's interesting to read all the rumor scuttle about is he or isn't he dead but I have mixed feelings about that because it seems like such a cheap and gimmicky thing to do to make it look like he died and then surprise! A magic escape.

My theory is that he'll return as a hallucination to his significant other, who will descend into madness now that the only important thing to her is gone. Sort of like when Rick hallucinated Lori after she died.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1445893682:

I watched last week's and last night's episode back to back. Man, that was a brutal grind as a viewer to endure.

It's interesting to read all the rumor scuttle about is he or isn't he dead but I have mixed feelings about that because it seems like such a cheap and gimmicky thing to do to make it look like he died and then surprise! A magic escape.

My theory is that he'll return as a hallucination to his significant other, who will descend into madness now that the only important thing to her is gone. Sort of like when Rick hallucinated Lori after she died.

I think it's the kind of gimmick they can get away with once on this show. But as I say, I think there will be a balance due for pulling it off. Someone else big is going to have to go. It may be him anyway, as I mentioned, and we'll only get a reprieve before he succumbs to the bite.

Or it could be that Maggie just can't take it any more and ends it for herself, though it'll most likely be through reckless behavior. She has been sitting idle for a little too long as a character.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1445895013:

on 1445893682:

I think it's the kind of gimmick they can get away with once on this show. But as I say, I think there will be a balance due for pulling it off. Someone else big is going to have to go. It may be him anyway, as I mentioned, and we'll only get a reprieve before he succumbs to the bite.

Or it could be that Maggie just can't take it any more and ends it for herself, though it'll most likely be through reckless behavior. She has been sitting idle for a little too long as a character.

Interesting that you guessed Maggie, as I just saw a trailer for a horror movie which she stars in (The Boy) and was wondering when she had time to work on that.

Ditto on the guess that he may die (again) anyway - that was also a hot topic of discussion given his fate in the comic. The difference though was that was a huge plot driver in the comic, whereas if this episode was Glenn's last, it played, as they said on TD, more like Nicholas's final story, not his. Definitely not befitting a character that we've watched since day one.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Surprised not much feedback on last week's ep. I'm not much of a Morgan fan, but I still felt they did an excellent job considering this as a sort of stand-alone mini-movie. The placement of the episode right after last week's crazy one was an interesting/bold choice. Also surprised they chose to dedicate a full 90 minutes to ANY character, much less not one of the main cast; certainly the story could have been told in a shorter episode. It was really excellently written and directed, so I guess in the end that makes up for everything else that might have bothered me. I really like that in addition to just getting the "origin" story of Zen Morgan, we got to see he really is not that Zen at all, maybe just a bad event or two away from going psycho.

Someone told me in the Closed Captions the last scene says "Rick's voice" so I guess he'll head out to save Rick. I was kind of disappointed as I thought we'd hear a shot and he'd be off to save Glenn.

• Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Wow, not even a hint of a return yet! They're really milking it.

If I really wanted to twist my own words to make myself right, I could say that
    we got both the breakdown and that shocking lack of response from Maggie
    but what happened in the episode wasn't really what I was expecting.

While the response was in character, the motivation for it didn't quite add up. There are a lot of people still stuck out there and a giant horde in the way of getting back. I'm not sure what makes it seem that he in particular has to be in trouble. But I also don't know how else you'd pull it off other than too much time passing, so I guess we'll just have to take it as story convention.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1447075341:

Wow, not even a hint of a return yet! They're really milking it.

If I really wanted to twist my own words to make myself right, I could say that
    we got both the breakdown and that shocking lack of response from Maggie
    but what happened in the episode wasn't really what I was expecting.

While the response was in character, the motivation for it didn't quite add up. There are a lot of people still stuck out there and a giant horde in the way of getting back. I'm not sure what makes it seem that he in particular has to be in trouble. But I also don't know how else you'd pull it off other than too much time passing, so I guess we'll just have to take it as story convention.

Yeah I agree - granted they did repeat the flimsy plot element that he specifically said he'd find a way to signal them if he was in trouble. But that seemed more like a plot contrivance in itself. It's not like any of the others wouldn't try to signal they needed help, or is that a Glenn-specific skill lol?

That said, in spite of this being a kind of slow-burn episode, I did really enjoy the Aaron and Maggie moments, not just the cool "sludge walkers" but the touching conversations. Ross Marquand is so freaking adorable, I thought for a moment Maggie might just forget Glenn (and forget Aaron's supposed to be gay) and just dive in and go for it lol. Sorry Glenn!

On a side note, is there a disproportionate number of lesbians in the apocalypse or am I imagining it? Or was the doctor not really a lesbian, but she figured she might as well try it out now that the world was ending?

P.S. Best. Slapfight. Ever!!
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    I'm still watching. :icon_smile: I guess my experience from past seasons is sometimes I just don't know until the mid-season and full-season conclusions if I'm really digging the show's direction.

If you hadn't heard, they cast...
    Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan, and he is expected to make an appearance at the end of this season and be presumably the Big Bad for season 7.
    Not sure that's a spoiler per se, better safe than sorry. :icon_smile:

I guess my worry long term is if I'll remain entertained by this group blundering from one supposed safe haven (Herschel's Farm, The Prison) to another supposed safe haven (Sanctuary) with occasional side trips through other supposed safe havens (Woodbury, The Hospital etc. etc.). And knowing favorite characters as well as characters I haven't gotten to know well enough to care about will get killed. And... CARL!!!!! MICHONNE!!!! DARRYL!!!! MAGGIE!!!! GLENN!!!! CAROL!!!!! Sorry, I fell back into Rick Mode. :icon_smile:

Oh well, that's the show. I suspect at some point I'm just going to find it repeating and circling around itself in a repetitive spiral, and then I'll just find something else to watch. Which is OK. :popc:

And then presumably in the Series Finale, we'll realize this is all just a vivid Fever Dream Rick had during his coma at the hospital in Season 1. :curses: :funeral:
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I couldn't believe they were going to make us wait a whole extra week without any Glenn information, but then we got the walkie at the end (which was the equivalent of a flare in the night).

So Darryl got majorly sidetracked and Sasha and Abraham had to hole up somewhere and none of them could communicate with Rick and Co. And yet, last week the only person anyone talked about was Glenn. I'd be pretty pissed if I were those other three.
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    I think the show's timelines are so screwed up now, that I need a flow chart diagram to understand the context of each episode. I just feel like I have no idea what timeline one episode is taking place in, in regard to the one before it or the one after it.

Norman Reedus denies that...
    the voice on the walkie-talkie is Glenn, he says the voice is someone else.

Walking Dead poll results favored it being Glenn but it really doesn't remind me of him at all.