News

Star Realms invades Kickstarter

Star Realms

While many deck-building games have a fantasy theme, we really haven’t seen one that introduces us to space.  During Origins I was able to check out a deck builder called Star Realms, created by one of the developers of Ascension.  Now I am happy to announce that Star Realms is now on Kickstarter.

October 4, 2013 – Framingham, MA – White Wizard Games LLC, the company created by Magic: The Gathering Hall of Famers Darwin Kastle and Rob Dougherty (developer and co-founder of the Ascension deckbuilding game), today announced a Kickstarter campaign to launch their new Star Realms deckbuilding game. The goal is to raise $20,000 to fund the final stages of production for this highly anticipated space combat game and to get it into the hands of backers in time for the holiday season. The Kickstarter campaign finishes on November 2, 2013.

“Star Realms has beautiful art and graphic design. The physical game packs up into a small, portable deck box that you can bring with you anywhere. It’s a great product at a great price, and most importantly, the game is incredibly FUN to play”, said Rob Dougherty, co-creator of Star Realms. “We can’t wait to get this amazing space combat game out. We just need a little help from the Kickstarter community to make that happen.”

Star Realms sets itself apart by making cards more useful faster.  All of the cards are useful, and the more powerful cards are worth more than their cost, helping to speed up gameplay.  It also features an Ascension-style selection, which I really enjoy.  The four factions are all different, and each one has different types of special abilities.  It’s easy to learn, and you just need a way to keep score and a place to play.  I had a lot of fun playing this, and I highly recommend going to their Kickstarter page and supporting them.

Senior Tabletop Editor | [email protected]

While not working as a Database Administrator, Keith Schleicher has been associated with Gaming Trend since 2003. While his love of video games started with the Telestar Alpha (a pong console with four different games), he trule started playing video games when he received the ill-fated TI-99/4A. While the Speech Synthesizer seemed to be the height of gaming, eventually a 286 AT computer running at 8/12 Hz and a CGA monitor would be his outlet for a while. Eventually he’d graduate to 386, 486, Pentium, and Athlon systems, building some of those systems while doing some hardware reviews and attending Comdex. With the release of the Dreamcast that started his conversion to the console world. Since then he has acquired an NES, SNES, PS2, PS3, PSP, GBA-SP, DS, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One S, Gamecube, Wii, Switch, and Oculus Quest 2. While not playing video games he enjoys bowling, reading, playing board games, listening to music, and watching movies and TV. He originally hails from Wisconsin but is now living in Michigan with his wife and sons.

See below for our list of partners and affiliates:

Trending

To Top
GAMINGTREND