Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

CeeKay
edited August 2009 in Video Games
looks like we'll finally be seeing stuff this week, I'm guessing from GamesCom. of course it could still be some time before we see the final product, but an end to the media blackout will be nice.

[edit]the main site is up, but the current logo reminds me of Dragon Age......

Comments

• 941 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • PR_GMR
    Good f'ng Lord! Thank Jeebus! Thanks for posting this, Ceekay! This is my current most highly awaited MMO and PC game. After all the speculation that Arena Net had dropped the ball and the game's development was faltering, this is like the greatest news ever. Can't wait to see what they have in store. :icon_biggrin:
  • skystride
    The main site is live! Not much new information though. It's the same stuff we heard a year ago. At least we now know it's not vaporware.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1250773220:

The main site is live! Not much new information though. It's the same stuff we heard a year ago. At least we now know it's not vaporware.

Not much new information, but did you see The Trailer?!!

http://www.guildwars2.com

That seriously is a work of art! Just gorgeous, breath-taking, and robust all around. The familiar, re-envisioned locales, the new cities, the amazing in-game footage and engine. I want this game now more than any PC game ever! :nod:
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    damn that video looked hot. the logo still reminds me of Dragon Age though....
  • Huw the Poo
    Guild Wars is one of my all-time favourite games, online or off. I can't wait for this one!

Edit: Gah! Did I see robots in that trailer? :(

Still, the scenery is just spectacular, as I've come to expect from ArenaNet. They really let their designers go wild with the imaginations, don't they?
  • Jag
    on 1250782456:

Edit: Gah! Did I see robots in that trailer? :(

Metal golems. They had them in GW as well.
  • Harkonis
    GT Member
    The trailer looks like it was done by the art crew from Disciples.

I still dont' see anything that leads me to believe this will be a true mmo. They said GW was an mmo also before it came out and technically I guess it is.

I want a game with Guild Wars type system of combat but with open areas instead of every non-city place being an instance.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1250790178:

I want a game with Guild Wars type system of combat but with open areas instead of every non-city place being an instance.

Well, this is exactly what they're doing with GW2. It will have open zones where you'll be able to put groups together on the fly and participate in 'realm quests' and objectives. Guild Wars 2 is a true MMO and the game that you want.

Re: The Golems. They were introduced in 'Eye Of The North' and they're creations of the Asura race. They're pretty awesome.
  • Huw the Poo
    Ah. Eye of the North was the one I didn't buy so I didn't see them. They still look like robots though... *grumble*
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    an interview about the different races.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1250790178:

The trailer looks like it was done by the art crew from Disciples.

I still dont' see anything that leads me to believe this will be a true mmo. They said GW was an mmo also before it came out and technically I guess it is.

Not exactly what you are asking for but hopefully it will feel close:

World PvP will allow you to play characters of any level, using the skills that you have in your possession at that particular time. It is intended to be a more relaxed bridging point between PvE and structured PvP. It will be on a larger scale than the original Guild Wars PvP with large battles which could take place over a long period with people coming and going.

Each battle will have a number of different objectives which can be met such as taking guard towers or defending choke points or joining a larger battle to take a castle. Battles will take place in the Mists.

Victory in World PvP will confer benefits to your world. This may include improved drop rates, better energy regeneration or other bonuses.
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    2011? that's a long way off....
  • PR_GMR
    on 1257868562:

2011? that's a long way off....

But it's gonna be worth it. As a GW fan, I would rather see them take their time to create a polished sequel (like Blizzard does) than to have a rushed product on the market. We've seen the sad results of games that were rushed to distribution (Age Of Conan, for example) and how the subscriber base massively leaves when they realize the game was release unfinished. I'll patiently wait another year for a magnificent GW2.
  • KillTrash
    Very cool video. They have me very excited for this. I loved GW.

You can see that character models don't look all that different compared to the first game, but somehow, their artistic direction is so awesome that things just look so beautiful! It has that feeling of things being bigger than life and I love that.
  • Destructor
    GT Member
    Holy shit that is amazing. What a great way to show off GW2's engine and player models (as most of that there looked like ingame footage and not CGI).
  • skystride
    Argh this is still 2 years away?!
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    of course, in 2 years time will we still be as wowed by the graphics?

[/devils_advocate]
  • skystride
    on 1259977858:

We won't be wowed by Diablo 3 graphics as well yet we will still love it.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1259977858:

[/devils_advocate]

(PR pulls a lever. Ceekay falls thru a trap-door and falls straight to fiery hell)

If you're gonna be the Devil's advocate, you need to go to hell! :icon_twisted:
  • vizionblind
    will we be able to jump this time around?
  • skystride
    The star of The Guild in Guild Wars! coincidence?
  • Randomayhem
    It's good news that they have a professional voice cast this time around. The question now is, will they have dialogue to deliver that doesn't make my brain bleed with its banality?
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    a design manifesto for GW2.

The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities. There’s so much depth here that you’re never going to run out of new things to discover.
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    a little bit on combat mechanics.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1272483091:

a little bit on combat mechanics.

Veddy, veddy cool! Game is coming along quite nicely. Check out the new Elementalist page at the GW2 site. You can see the Ele in action, and it's gonna be a badass class to play. Graphics are top-notch!
  • hepcat
    on 1272486514:

Veddy, veddy cool! Game is coming along quite nicely. Check out the new Elementalist page at the GW2 site. You can see the Ele in action, and it's gonna be a badass class to play. Graphics are top-notch!

game just went from "can't wait!" to "packing bags, will camp in front of developer's office" with that video.

this makes me want to fire up gw1 this weekend. i swear, that game has more staying power than any of my others.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1272487511:

on 1272486514:

game just went from "can't wait!" to "packing bags, will camp in front of developer's office" with that video.

this makes me want to fire up gw1 this weekend. i swear, that game has more staying power than any of my others.

Hell, It's *still* on my hard drive.. and I'm reluctant to uninstall it 'cause I've fired it up countless times in the past 4 years. It just keeps resurging and resurging.