Would you like to try the Free-to-Play title Tribes Ascend but don’t know one end of the Spinfuser from the other (and from what I’ve see in-game, that’s most of ya)? Well, a friend of mine has you covered in the first of a series – this one covering defensive gameplay and generator defense. If you’ve completely missed the boat on Tribes Ascend, here’s a nibble on what the game is all about:
Tribes: Ascend is the world’s fastest shooter – an online multiplayer FPS with jetpacks, skiing, vehicles, and multiple classes.
- Skiing: A slow soldier is a dead soldier. By holding down space bar you remove friction and build momentum to traverse large maps, hunt down targets, and escape enemy territory at intense speeds.
- Jetpacks: Total freedom of movement and aerial, dog-fight like combat
- Class-Based Combat: Nine classes, each with unique weapon loadouts and abilities.
- Escalating Intensity: In each match you earn credits for shooting down enemies or supporting your team’s objectives. Use these match credits to upgrade base defenses, access vehicles, or call-in tactical strikes. The longer you play, the more chaotic the match becomes.
- Vehicles: Pilot the powerful Beowulf tank, the speedy two-person Grav Cycle or the versatile flying Shrike.
- Beautiful, Massive Battlefields: Wage war in a variety of open environments including frozen wastelands, sprawling cities, and jagged mountains.
- Don’t Fight Alone: Friend-list allows you to link up with others and establish supremacy online
- Spectator Mode: Highly-detailed spectator mode allows you to zoom in on your favorite players, view player data, and switch between action hot spots on the fly.
Watch the video, head to the official page, and put those tactics to good use! While the team at Hi-Rez have ceased development on the title to focus on their “next big thing”, the game is a far sight better than most shooters out there. When the sheen wears off of whatever military shooter comes out this week, I often find myself in the world of Tribes. Enjoy the video: