In a press release today, Microsoft announced that it had “taken over” the German-speaking Principality of Lichtenstein to publicize the launch of Halo 4. Lichtenstein may be one of the smallest nations in the world, but according to Microsoft it was transformed into “the stage of an epic sci-fi saga as Xbox 360 created a mysterious alternate universe inspired by [the Halo series]. ”
Xbox 360 worked with the government-owned Liechtenstein Marketing, which promotes Liechtenstein as a tourism destination and a place to do business, to transform the country. The unique makeover included the following:
- Reimagining a 13th century castle. Standing on a 77-yard-high spur of rock, Gutenberg Castle, one of the most important historical landmarks of Liechtenstein, took on a new guise as a futuristic military fortification where guests became among the first to play “Halo 4.”
- Overtaking an entire quarry. A working mine became a jaw-dropping arena for sci-fi adventure, with an appearance from the hero of “Halo 4,” the Master Chief, amid a series of pyrotechnic explosions.
- Creating a military camp in the countryside. A local farmer’s field became a post-apocalyptic battleground.
- Finishing touches included the use of bespoke props, special effects and pyrotechnics.
- Immersive theater. Fifteen actors took guests on a two-hour adventure, which involved decoding a series of cryptic clues to help save mankind from extinction by fighting off the threat of an attack.
GamingTrend got some photos of the event, and you’ll find those, as well as the press release, below. I have to give Microsoft points for originality on this one.