Sony’s got an announcement for PlayStation Vita owners. This holiday season Sony will expand the capabilities of the Vita by allowing it to connect to the PS3 as an interactive OLED remote. It’ll allow players to control their videos, music, iTunes, and even allow players to use it as a PS3 controller. There are also some enhancements to cross-play for titles like Street Fighter X Tekken and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Here are the details:
- Variable speed playback, fast-rewind and fast-forward, and repeat play will be supported in the Video application.
- Music playlists which are imported from PlayStation®3 (PS3®) or iTunes*1 under Music application will be supported.
- “Cross-Controller” icon will be added to the LiveArea™ under the Remote Play application to enable users to play PS3 format software by using their PS Vita as a controller.*2
- SCE will also deliver PlayStation Plus, which is currently available for PS3 users, to PS Vita users this year. By purchasing a membership to PlayStation Plus, PS Vita users will be able to enjoy various services which will become available exclusively for members.
- Cross-Play feature − STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN from CAPCOM, available on October 23, will allow PS3 and PS Vita users to enjoy match or collaborative gameplay.
- Cross-Save feature − By managing saved data between PS Vita and PS3, the Cross-Save feature for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal from SCE, available on November 20, enables users to continue playing on the go with their PS Vita, right from where they left off on their PS3 at home.
The system updates, as always, are free. When you add this to the stellar lineup of Vita titles, there are getting to be more and more reasons to pick up this powerful handheld. If you haven’t already, check our our preview for Little Big Planet on the Vita! Hit the press release below for all of the details.