Ubisoft’s Anno 2070 is a stellar game. Transplanting the supply-chain city builder from the age of sail to a future beset by resource scarcity and environmental degradation shook up the franchise in the best possible ways, expanding the classic Dawn of Discovery model with fanciful new technologies for managing ecological health, energy consumption, and undersea colonization. There’s a real strategic art to meeting the needs of your people in a sustainable way, and it looks like players will have more options than ever once the Deep Ocean expansion is released.
Key features of ANNO 2070 Deep Ocean:
– New civilization level
For the first time in the history of the Anno series an add-on brings a new civilization level: the Tech faction is expanded by the Genius population class.
– A deeper game experience
The new population class grants access to the new Tech Monument, new corresponding production chains and consumption goods. Furthermore this new class features new vehicles and new items allowing players to develop industries, strengthen economies and exploit new resources.
– Additional content and challenges
Players will also be able to:
• Acquire enemy territories without using military force through the “Hostile Takeover” feature
• Resolve energy problems by building the new underwater geothermal power plant
• Optimize energy supply through “Energy transfer” between islands
• Face a new dangerous disaster: The Tsunami
• Unlock new rewards for each faction’s career ladder
• Take advantage of new underwater trading routes
• Experience over 150 new challenging quests
• Unlock over 30 new achievements
• Access to player comparison via new leaderboards
With well over a hundred hours of Anno 2070 under my belt, I’d say the most game-changing feature on that list is the ability to transmit electricity from one island to another. Energy production and land fertility strike a fine balance in the base game, and enabling players to broadcast the surplus from an industrial center to an agrarian colony has the potential to rewrite my very best strategies.
Anno 2070: Deep Ocean is currently scheduled for a digital release sometime this autumn.