Boy, Purna just can’t catch a break. Yesterday’s enormous Dead Island patch for the PC boosted her firearms skill to new heights by expanding her natural ammo capacity beyond any of the other characters and making her skill tree upgrades even more valuable. It’s just a taste of the sweeping balance changes introduced by the development team at Techland, except for one major caveat: loading the patch causes the game to crash on start.
Fortunately there’s an easy fix! We’ll tell you all about it and list some unofficial patch notes just after the jump….
Courtesy of the Steam forums, English editions of the game can be made whole again by fixing a small .INI typo:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Data\game.ini
Locate: Locale(“EN”) and change to Locale(“en”)
A subsequent update notes that other languages can also be repaired in a similar fashion, changing “ES” to “es” and “DE” to “de” for the Spanish and German-language editions of the game.
Comprehensive patch notes remain elusive, but some of the other changes noted by the community include:
- new custom weapon recipes
- greatly increased XP rewards for completing Challenges
- kicking now consumes stamina
- faster looting
- rebalanced enemy difficulty in co-op games with characters of disparate levels
- increased level cap from 50 to 60
- health regeneration slowed, but the total health gained now scales to the character’s level
- V-Sync is now available as part of the normal in-game options
- improved keyboard weapon swapping and mouse control in menus
How do you feel about the changes? Find anything more? Let us know in our forums or in the comments below!