Matrix Games, Slitherine and Black Hand Studios have released some promotional footage showcasing improvements to the unit pathfinding in their upcoming Close Combat relaunch. Eager to know more? Well, straight from the press release:
Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements (CC: Cross of Iron, CC: Wacht am Rhein, CC: The Longest Day)
- Major improvements were made to the way vehicles and soldiers travel to way points and reach the end destination of both simple and highly complex, unhindered paths with a very high degree of success.
- Soldier pathfinding was improved so that when soldiers fall behind (heavy weapon or momentarily lost) they plot their own path to successfully rejoin their team.
- Vehicle driver and soldier decision making was improved to help them deal with unexpected obstacles (vehicle moving into their way , or wreck that was knocked out in the course of battle to block a path that was already determined), and get out of dead-end locations.
- AI improvements were designed in concert with the re-designed pathfinder.
- The “Bee Dance” of CC2 that was related to conflicts between the AI for the vehicle driver and the AI that tried to keep the team moving along the team’s path that would result in a conflict about which portion of the AI to follow or “which way to go” is resolved.
- Many other minor improvements were made and reported bugs were fixed.
CC: Last Stand Arnhem-only Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements
- The mechanism for borrowing teams from the reserve battlegroup was redesigned.
- The Grand Campaign was redesigned for improved play balance
Want to see all this in action? Then head on over to youtube and enjoy almost 7 minutes of painstaking detail sure to satisfy any curious strategy-gamer.