DTP Entertainment and Ronimo Games have released the first trailer and gameplay information for their upcoming Awesomenauts. Described as a “Multiplayer Online Battle Arena”, the trailer gives off a Super Smash Bros Melee kind of vibe, but with a less hectic pace. Here’s some background detail straight from the press release:
The year is 3587, conflict spans the stars. Huge robot armies are locked in an enduring stalemate. At the center is a team of elite mercenaries fighting for the spoils of war: The Awesomenauts.Combining the gameplay of classic 2D-platformering titles with that of modern, fast-paced MOBA-games, Awesomenauts allows up to six players to battle against one-another across multiple alien worlds. Featuring a playable roster of unique heroes, Awesomenauts brings ferocious teamplay and angry, lightsaber-wielding aliens together.Gameplay Features:
- For the first time in galactic history, Awesomenauts will bring the popular MOBA genre to the 2D plane with rich, detailed environments!
- Adrenaline-pumping action with up to 3 players staining your couch, or 6 players online!
- A roster of unique playable mercenaries, each featuring their own set of skills and upgrades!
- Advanced matchmaking options, which allow you to queue up for online matches without forcing you to wait in a matchmaking lobby!
- Unlock over 100 unique items to beef up your abilities and customize your personal playing style for each match!
- Facemelting battles across multiple exotic planets and alien spaceships!
The release also cites Saturday-morning cartoons from the 1980s as a heavy source of inspiration for Awesomenauts, so for you animation fans out there (like myself) this may be one to keep an eye on.